96 chevy: rough sensor..fuel pressure regulator..voltage

Customer Question

96 chevy k1500 rough idle after start up ses light on, now truck wont start. Have replaced map sensor,fuel pump, fuel pressure regulator, intake gaskets. found code's po300 random misfire, po108 map voltage high
Category: Chevy
Expert:  PARTSPRO4779 replied 9 years ago.

Do you have access to a scan tool? You will need that to diagnose the p0108. I do not believe that the map sensor code is the reason for your no start issue. The ecm should be putting the map sensor voltage into a preset parameter that works so the vehicle will still function. I would check for fuel pressure and spark on the nostart issue. The p0300 has to do likely with your valve guides in the heads. Here is some info on that. I hope this helps! Let me know if I can assist you any further!

Subject:SES Light and P0300 When Towing , Cruising Uphill or on Hard Acceleration - kw 4.3 5.0 5.7 accelerate cruise cylinderhead DTC L30 L31 L35 LF6 LU3 P0300 P0301 P0302 P0303 P0304 P0305 P0306 P0307 P0308 #PIP3081 - (07/23/2004)

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom described in the PI.

The vehicle may exhibit a SES Light due to a P0300 and misfire. If the misfire is related to the information below, it will typically happen while cruising uphill, pulling a trailer or on hard acceleration and then stop misfiring shortly after returning to an idle. Typically, cylinders 3,4,5 or 6 will be the ones to experience this.

If the P0300 SI diagnostics did not isolate a concern, the following may help:

Remove the valve cover, valve springs and valve seals on the effected cylinder or cylinders. A small wire tie or rubber bands can be placed in the valve stem keeper groove to prevent the valve from falling into the cylinder. Rotate the valve while moving it up and down in the guide to see if it binds. If a binding valve is found, remove both cylinder heads and use either of the following methods to increase the stem to guide clearance:

Send the head out to a machine shop and advise them to increase the valve stem to guide clearance to 0.002 inch per guide.

Hone the guide with a 9 mm hone, such as Snap On BCG249, until a clearance of 0.002 inch is obtained. This will usually take about 4 strokes of the hone.

Reassemble the cylinder heads using new valve seals.

Please follow this diagnosis process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed. If these steps do not resolve the condition, please contact GM TAC for further diagnostic assistance.

(96 - 02 Chevrolet Astro) and (96 - 02 GMC Safari) and (96 - 00 Old Body Style Chevrolet Suburban) and (96 - 00 Old Body Style Chevrolet Tahoe) and (96 - 02 Chevrolet Express) and (96 - 00 GMC Yukon) and (96 - 00 Chevrolet Old Body Style C/K Truck) and (96 - 00 GMC Old Body Style C/K Truck) and (96 -02 GMC Savana) and (96 - 99 P32 Cab and Chassis) and (96 - 02 Chevrolet S-10) and (99 - 02 Chevrolet Silverado with 4.3L V-6 Engines (96 - 02 GMC Sonoma) and (96 - 02 GMC Sierra with 4.3L V-6 Engines)

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to PARTSPRO4779's Post: Andy, Thanx it turns out it was the fuel injection pump. Not sure if I owe you for the information. Please let me know.

Thanx again Rick