Mike, Master Technician
Experience:  25 years GM experience, owned my own diagnostic shop for 8 years. ASE Master Tech, ASE L1 Advanced
3417878

2001 chevy: fan belt..2wd 5.3L truck, how do i losen the belt

Customer Question

I need to replace the fan belt on my 2001 chevy silverado 2wd 5.3L truck, how do i losen the belt or remove the belt?

THANKS, Glen
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Mike replied 7 years ago.

Hello Glen,

Does your Silverado have A/C and one serpentine belt or two?

Expert:  Mike replied 7 years ago.

Drive Belt Replacement - Accessory

Removal Procedure

1. Loosen the air cleaner outlet duct clamps at the following locations:
    • Throttle body
    • Mass airflow/intake air temperature (MAF/IAT) sensor
  2. Remove the radiator inlet hose clip from the outlet duct.
  3. Remove the air cleaner outlet duct.
  4. graphic
  5. Install a breaker bar with hex-head socket to the drive belt tensioner bolt.
  6. Here is a picture of the tensioner ( dont remove it only use the socket to relieve tension, it is spring loaded. Can also use a long wrench
  7. graphic
  8. Rotate the drive belt tensioner clockwise in order to relieve tension on the belt.
  9. Remove the belt from the pulleys and the drive belt tensioner.
  10. Slowly release the tension on the drive belt tensioner.
  11. Remove the breaker bar and socket and from the drive belt tensioner bolt.
  12. Clean and inspect the belt surfaces of all the pulleys.

Installation Procedure

graphic
  1. Route the drive belt around all the pulleys except the idler pulley.
  2. Install the breaker bar with hex-head socket to the belt tensioner bolt.
  3. Rotate the belt tensioner clockwise in order to relieve the tension on the tensioner.
  4. Install the drive belt under the idler pulley.
  5. Slowly release the tension on the belt tensioner.
  6. Remove the breaker bar and socket from the belt tensioner bolt.
  7. Inspect the drive belt for proper installation and alignment.

graphic

Important

Align the arrow at the throttle body end of the duct with the throttle body attaching stud.

1. Install the air cleaner outlet duct.
  2. Install the radiator inlet hose clip to the outlet duct.

Notice

Use the correct fastener in the correct location. Replacement fasteners must be the correct part number for that application. Fasteners requiring replacement or fasteners requiring the use of thread locking compound or sealant are identified in the service procedure. Do not use paints, lubricants, or corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or fastener joint surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect fastener torque and joint clamping force and may damage the fastener. Use the correct tightening sequence and specifications when installing fasteners in order to avoid damage to parts and systems.

3. Tighten the air cleaner outlet duct clamps at the following locations:
    • Throttle body
    • MAF/IAT sensor Tighten

Tighten the air cleaner outlet duct clamp screws to 7 N·m (62 lb in).

4. Positive Feedback is really appreciated "ACCEPTED" makes my day!Smile

5. If you have any other questions please ask and I will be happy to follow up

6. Mike