PARTSPRO4779
PARTSPRO4779, PARTS CONSULTANT
Experience:  ASE CERTIFICATION
3470938

how to install a extended cab door window

Customer Question

window will not go back into place
Category: Chevy
Expert:  PARTSPRO4779 replied 7 years ago.
HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on Just Answer. The other experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:

-What year is your Chevy?
-What model is your Chevy?
-How many miles are on your Chevy?
-What type of engine is in your Chevy?
-What have you already tried?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to PARTSPRO4779's Post: 2002 silverado
I have tried pushing the window back into place on the door. The little fins do not want to go back into the slots

I am a little confused on what you are working with. You are trying to replace the swing out extended cab window? This should have a latch and two hinges?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to PARTSPRO4779's Post: Yes it does.
you have the interior trim panel out?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to PARTSPRO4779's Post: Yes
you had to disconnect the latch and unbolt the two hinges?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to PARTSPRO4779's Post: There are not bolts on the window hinges

This is a silverado right? Here is the instructions for a Silverado. Take a look!

Body Side Window Replacement

Removal Procedure

1. Place tape from body side to window to hold in place.
  2. Remove the side access door trim panel.
  3. Disconnect the window latch.
  4. Remove the bolts from the hinges.
  5. Remove the tape and window from the vehicle.

Installation Procedure

1. Position the window and tape into position.

2. Install the bolts to the hinges.

Tighten
    Tighten the bolts to 10 N·m (89 lb in).

3. Install the window latch.
  4. Remove the tape and inspect the window.
  5. Install the side access door trim panel.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to PARTSPRO4779's Post: My windows don't have bolts, just flanges
I am wondering how the hinges are attached to the body? And also the window?
Do your windows not swing out?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to PARTSPRO4779's Post: the hinges on the window fit in grove on molding that goes on the door. They're plastic and they flare out so when it's in the grove they won't come out
Can you post your VIN Number?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to PARTSPRO4779's Post: 1gcek19t12e249769

canpat# XXXXX

You have a good one here. Gm has apparently redesigned that hinge due to a wind noise. The bad thing is they don't have any instructions on how to put the old style together. They have revised their instructions to work with the new style hinge. I have never had one of those apart, so I am in the dark here. Here is the info on the redesigned window. I know its not going to help you, but atleast you can see what I am looking at! Wish I could be of more help. The instructions are the ones I already posted, but here it all is anyway!

Subject:SMU - Revised Hinged Body Side Window Replacement #06-08-48-001 - (04/03/2006)

Models:1999-2006 Chevrolet Silverado
1999-2006 GMC Sierra

This bulletin is being issued to revise the Hinged Body Side Window Replacement procedure in the Stationary Glass sub-section of the Service Manual. Please replace the current information in the Service Manual with the following information.

The following information has been updated within SI. If you are using a paper version of this Service Manual, please make a reference to this bulletin on the affected page.

Hinged Body Side Window Replacement

Removal Procedure

Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: SH

3. Disconnect the window latch.
  4. Remove the bolts from the hinges.

Installation Procedure

Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: SH

Notice: Refer to Fastener Notice.

2. Install the bolts to the hinges.

Tighten
    Tighten the bolts to 10 N·m (89 lb in).

3. Install the window latch.