Bob
Bob, Auto Tech
Experience:  Plus 40 years GM, over 30 certified with Chevrolet, ASE certified Master Tech. (Expired, Retired)
2210118

Adjusted by the chiltons manual they are loose on the 2nd adjustment

when i get them adjusted by the chiltons manual they are loose on the 2nd adjustment
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Bob replied 7 years ago.

Valve Lash Adjustment

1. Remove the valve rocker arm cover.
  2. Crank the engine until the mark on the crankshaft balancer lines up with the timing mark on the front cover and the engine is in the number one firing position. This may be determined by placing fingers on the number one valve as the mark on the balancer comes near the timing mark on the front cover. If the valve rocker arms are not moving, the engine is in the number one firing position. If the valve rocker arms move as the mark comes up to the timing mark, the engine is in the number six firing position. Rotate the crankshaft 360° or one complete revolution in order to reach the number one position.
  3. With the engine in the number one firing position as determined above, adjust the following valves (Even numbered cylinders are in the right bank. Odd numbered cylinders are in the left bank):
    - Exhaust:1, 3, 4, 8
    - Intake:1, 2, 5, 7

Object Number: 22759  Size: SH

4. Back out the adjusting nut until lash is felt at the pushrod then turn in the adjusting nut until all lash is removed. This can be determined by rotating the pushrod while turning the adjusting nut. When the play has been removed, turn the adjusting nut 360° or one full additional turn in order to center the valve lifter plunger.
  5. Crank the engine one revolution until the timing mark on the front cover and the crankshaft balancer mark are again in alignment. This is the number six firing position. The following valves may be adjusted:
    - Exhaust: 2, 5, 6, 7
    - Intake: 3, 4, 6, 8
  6. Install the valve rocker arm cover.

Document ID# XXXXX
1997 Chevrolet Chevy C Pickup - 2WD

Bob, Auto Tech
Experience: Plus 40 years GM, over 30 certified with Chevrolet, ASE certified Master Tech. (Expired, Retired)
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
i have done exactly this but when i get to second tightening sequence some of the valves that i just tightened are very loose
Expert:  Bob replied 7 years ago.

This is the correct procedure. Are all of the lifters pumped up? What was it you did that made it necessary to adjust the valves?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
my son put on new head gaskets and valve guide seals
Expert:  Bob replied 7 years ago.
Your next best option would be to adjust them with the motor running, do you know how to do it this way? They make a spring clip that you can get at a parts store that slips over the rocker arm to keep the oil mess to a minimum.