BOBBYSS, Master Technician

My 2001 chevy impalas security light keeps coming ...

My 2001 chevy impala's security light keeps coming on out of the blue. It comes on every couple of days or so and stays on for the same length of time. Sometimes when its on it enables me to start the car. And just as fast and out of the blue the lights come on it goes off. I have searched online and I have come across many people having the exact same problem with this year make and model vehicle.
1. Why does this light keep coming on?
2. How do I correct this problem?
3. Has there been a recall with this 2001 chevy impalas?
4. Can we depend on manufactuers of this particular year make and model to compensate consumers on money lost in trying to fix this reoccuring problem.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  BOBBYSS replied 9 years ago.
HelloCustomer you are correct about the common problem. There are many GM models with this same problem. The most common problem is the sensor for the anti theft that is in the ignition lock cylinder. There are other problems with loose electrical connectors in the system as well as the computer itself going bad. There are no recalls for the problems because they do not represent a safety hazard. GM has presented many bulletins covering these problems, but it is only on cars that are under warrant. The main way to fox your problem is to find the source of it. Like I said it is most likely in the ignition lock cylinder where the key goes in. I would also recommend checking the connections in the system. Is this something you plan on fixing yourself?