Mike, Master Technician
Experience:  25 years GM experience, owned my own diagnostic shop for 8 years. ASE Master Tech, ASE L1 Advanced

Why wont my Chevy truck shift out of 2nd gear

I have a "00" 4wd Chevy crewcab dually, my problem is that it will not shift out of 2nd gear. If I start it up and put it in reverse and back up, then put it in drive, it will shift fine through all the gears but then when you come to a stop and pull off again, it will not shift out of 2nd. If you start the truck and put it in drive it will only shift to 2nd gear. Please, if you could let me know what you think might be causing this, I just hope we dont have to replace the whole transmission.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  replied 7 years ago.

HelloCustomer

Thank you for using just answer!

What is happening is there is either a problem that is storing a code in the computer and it is defaulting to second gear or as in a copy of a similar problem posted below they have a problem with the ignition switches dropping voltage which can cause a no shift condition. The first thing you need to do is have it checked to see if there is a code stored. If there is a code stored then let me know and we can follow up with that. If you have a voltmeter you can check the fuse to see if the voltage is the same as the rest of the fuses. If it is lower as in the post it will also cause it not to shift.

The transmission on this vehicle will intermittently default
to second gear. I've had other GM trucks do this with ign.
switch problems i.e. low voltage to term. 20 in fuse panel.
However, when this problem occurs the voltage is normal. It
also doesn't exhibit the speedometer/tachometer problems
normally associated with ign.switch problems on these
vehicles. I did note that when the problem occurs the security
light comes on with no starting problems and I lose scan tool
data stream. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

____________________________ FIX ___________________________

The problem turned out to be the ignition switch, even though
the symptoms were a little different than the ones I'd had in
the past. Voltage drop to 10v on fuse #20 when the fault was
present. Thanks for the help!

Mike, Master Technician
Experience: 25 years GM experience, owned my own diagnostic shop for 8 years. ASE Master Tech, ASE L1 Advanced