ase_master327
ase_master327, Shop Owner
Experience:  +15 years experience with Chevrolet. Bumper to bumper diagnosis & repair.
907259

HOW DO I REPLACE MY OIL PUMP ON A 1997 CHEVY VENTURE 3.4 ENG

THINK I MUST LOOSE THE AIR CONDITIONING UNIT TO DROP DOWN OIL PAN RIGHT? HELP!!THANKS, XXXXX XXXXX BLESS!
Category: Chevy
Expert:  ase_master327 replied 7 years ago.

Hello, Thank you for choosing Just Answer!

Here are the instructions to getting the pan out of there. The torque on the pump bolt is 30 ft/lb.

3.4L Engine

Removal and installation of the oil pan in this vehicle requires the use of some special tools. Needed are the following:

• Universal Support Fixture

• Engine Support Fixture Adapters

• Engine Support Fixture Adapter

• Torque Wrench Adapter

1. Install a suitable universal support fixture, engine support fixture adapters and the engine support fixture adapter.

2. Disconnect the negative battery cable.

3. Raise and safely support the vehicle.

4. Drain the engine oil into a suitable container.

5. Remove the oil filter drip shield, bolts and shield.

6. Disconnect the exhaust pipe from the manifold.

7. Place jackstands under the frame at the front and rear.

8. Remove the engine mount-to-frame nuts, then remove the transaxle mount-to-frame nuts.

9. Loosen, but do not remove, the rear frame bolts.

10. Remove the front frame bolts, then lower the front of the frame.

11. Remove the engine mount and bracket.

12. Remove the starter.

13. Remove the oil level wiring harness connector.

14. Remove the transaxle brace.

15. Remove the oil pan side bolts, remove the oil pan bottom bolts, and remove the pan.

16. Thoroughly clean all gasket mating surfaces including the oil pan flanges, oil pan rail, front cover, rear main bearing cap and the threaded holes.

Check the oil pan for any damage, check at the drain hole, and check the drain plug for stripped threads. Repair or replace as necessary.

See Figure 3

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 3: Exploded view of the oil pan mounting-3.4L engine

To install:

1. Position the oil pan gasket.

2. Apply sealant to the oil pan gasket tabs at the rear main bearing caps.

3. Install the oil pan, then tighten the pan bolts to 18 ft. lbs. (25 Nm).

4. Install the oil pan side bolts and tighten to 37 ft. lbs. (50 Nm) using a torque wrench adapter.

5. Reconnect the oil level wiring harness connector.

6. Install the transaxle brace.

7. Install the starter.

8. Install the engine mount bracket and mount.

9. Raise the frame to the proper position using new frame bolts.

10. Remove the jackstands.

11. Connect the exhaust pipe to the manifold.

12. Install the transaxle and engine mount nuts.

13. Install the oil filter drip shield and bolts.

14. Lower the vehicle and fill the crankcase with oil.

15. Remove the special tools installed at the beginning of this procedure.

16. Connect the negative battery cable.

ase_master327, Shop Owner
Experience: +15 years experience with Chevrolet. Bumper to bumper diagnosis & repair.