Virtual Wrench
Virtual Wrench, Chevy Mechanic
Experience:  35 years Master Mechanic
2617050

how do I reset my computer codes on a 97 chevy silverado vortec 350

Category: Chevy
Expert:  Virtual Wrench replied 10 years ago.

The best way is to reset it with a scanner, but if you remove the ecm fuse for a minute it will reset. If there is a problem with the light coming on, then the system should be scanned and the faulty component(s) repalced/repaired.

If you have further questions on this just reply.

Thanks for asking!

V W

Customer: replied 10 years ago.
I will tell you a little more about the problem quickly...I have been plagued with O2 sensors showing bad every since I baught the truck in 2002 I am now showing a code for a low voltage on sensor 1 bank one and sensor 2 behind the cadalidic converter and I have replaced them both Any suggestions as to how I can get this truck thru emmission testing with spending more money?

Unfortunatly, you cant just unplug the lamp, it is tested while performing the emissions test, and will fail the test if it doesnt light up with the key on check (unless the guy forgets to look at it) :-)

The sensors will have to be replaced to get the light to go off. Sorry, but there is really no quick fix for this.

Best of luck my friend!

V W