Ask Don 'Mo Lurch' Your Own Que...

Don 'Mo Lurch'
Don 'Mo Lurch', Auto Mech / Electronics
Experience:  Chevrolet Cert., Heavy Line Mech, Race Shop Owner, Mobile Electronics.
1609972

Remove the radiator from my chevy cavalier year model 2001

Customer Question

i need to know how to remove the radiator from my chevy cavalier year model 2001
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Don 'Mo Lurch' replied 8 years ago.

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 2: Remove the radiator shroud cover from the engine compartment

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 3: Unplug the connector on the crash sensor located on the hood latch support bracket

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 4: Remove the hood latch retaining bolte and remove the latch from the bracket

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 5: Remove the lower retaining bolt (one on each side) for the hood latch support bracket

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 6: Carefully remove the hood latch support bracket from the vehicle

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 7: Release the clamp and remove the lower radiator hose and ...

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 8: ... the upper radiator hose from the radiator

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 9: Remove the transaxle fluid cooler lines from the radiator, there are two: the pressure and ...

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 10: ... the return lines

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 11: It is advisable to plug the openings of the transaxle fluid cooler lines preventing the system from getting contaminated

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 12: Remove the condenser-to-radiator bolts

When adding coolant, it is very important to use GM Goodwrench DEX-COOL®, which is an orange colored, silicate free coolant. If silicated coolant is used on these vehicles, premature engine, heater core and/or radiator corrosion may result. In addition, the engine coolant will require change sooner, at 30,000 milee (50,000km) or 24 months.

1. If equipped with A/C, have a certified repair shop recover the refrigerant.

2. Disconnect the negative battery cable.

3. Disable the Supplemental Inflatable Restraint (SIR) system. For details, please refer to the procedure located in Chassis Electrical of this guide.

4. Properly drain and recover the coolant in an approved container.

5. Unfasten the hood latch from the mounting plate.

6. Remove the right and left headlamp assemblies.

7. Remove the radiator mounts.

8. Raise and safely support the vehicle.

9. Detach the forward SIR sensor harness.

10. Remove the cooling fan assembly. For details, please refer to the procedure located later in this section.

11. Disconnect the lower radiator hose from the radiator.

12. Unfasten the lower transaxle oil cooler line from the radiator.

13. Carefully lower the vehicle.

14. Remove the hood latch support bracket and the forward SIR sensor with the harness.

15. Disconnect the upper transaxle oil cooler line from the radiator.

16. Detach the upper radiator hose from the radiator.

17. If equipped with A/C, disconnect the compressor and accumulator lines from the condenser. Discard the O-rings.

18. Disconnect the overflow hose from the radiator.

19. Remove the radiator/condenser assembly from the vehicle, then detach the radiator from the condenser, if equipped.

To install:

1. Attach the condenser to the radiator. Position the radiator/condenser assembly into the vehicle.

2. Fasten the overflow hose to the radiator.

3. Install the hood latch bracket, then route the forward sensor harness.

4. Raise and safely support the vehicle.

5. Install the cooling fan assembly, as outlined later in this section.

6. Fasten the lower transaxle oil cooler line to the radiator.

7. Connect the lower radiator hose.

8. Attach the forward SIR sensor connector.

9. Carefully lower the vehicle.

10. Attach the upper radiator hose.

11. Fasten the upper transaxle oil cooler line to the radiator.

12. Install the hood latch support.

13. If equipped, using new O-rings, connect the compressor and accumulator hoses to the condenser.

14. Install the left and right headlamp assemblies.

15. Install the hood latch assembly, then adjust if necessary.

16. Enable the Supplemental Inflatable Restraint (SIR) system. For details, please refer to the procedure in Chassis Electrical of this guide.

17. Connect the negative battery cable.

18. If equipped, have a certified repair shop recharge the A/C system.

19. Fill the cooling system with the proper 50/50 mix of DEX-COOL coolant and distilled water.

20. Bleed the cooling system.