Chevy man
Chevy man, Chevy Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified as an L1 Master Technician with extensive experience in Chevy products

2002 Chevy Tahoe: service engine soon..clunk..2nd gear..Fluid level is

My 2002 Chevy Tahoe service engine soon light came on about same time as transmission seems to clunk in second gear ( guessing 2nd gear as it clunks at about 20 miles per hour when just starting out). Fluid level is OK. Is service engine light related? Is the transmission failing? Is there possibly a easy fix? Could replacing the transmission silenoid correct this problem?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Chevy man replied 9 years ago.

The check engine light is a warning light that comes on if the computerized engine control system detects an engine performance or emissions problem. Also called the "malfunction indicator lamp" (MIL). It can come on for any of hundreds of different causes from any of the systems that the computer monitors. Some are very important and some not as serious.

Your first step is to have the computer scanned to retreive the trouble codes that were set when the check engine light came on. Those codes will get you pointed in the right direction to find your problem. With a 1996 or newer and some 95 cars and you have an AutoZone in your area, they will read them for free.

The PCM also controls and monitors some transmission related functions and these problems are very likely related.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Chevy man's Post: Can you be a little more specific. One of my neighbors has a code reader and said the code is P1870 and it just says Transmission. . Can I fix this myself? A retired transmission repair man told me many times, a simple $100. or $200. dollar fix had been charged out at $1800. to $2000.
My last vehicle,(also a Tahoe) had the transmission repaired twice at $2350. and $1975.
and now I have no confidience in transmission repair shops.I am mechanically inclined. Can I fix this myself?
Expert:  Chevy man replied 9 years ago.

I could have been more specific if your question was more complete and included the code number.

That code indicates that the computer is seeing slippage when the TCC (torque converter control) is energized. It is seeing a different between engine RPM and transmission RPM which would indicate that the torque converter is slipping.

This one isn't going to be a $100 repair and the sooner you get it to a trans shop the better before any debri starts migrating through the rest of the transmission.

At this point, the trans itself may be OK but you'll probably find a bad torque converter.