Chevy man
Chevy man, Chevy Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified as an L1 Master Technician with extensive experience in Chevy products
201885

1999 chevy suburban: wont work..the brake light switch..bulbs

My 1999 chevy suburban brake lights wont work. I dont know how long they have been out, but I checked the fuse, replaced the brake light switch, and checked my bulbs. I even went as far as unplugging the switch and ran a jumper wire from the hot side to all of the other prongs and still nothing.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Chevy man replied 10 years ago.
Is the 3rd (high mount brake light working?
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to Chevy man's Post: The third brake light did work until I changed the switch. I have not tried to put the old switch in and try the third light again but I probably will.

If the 3rd light is working, the problem is a bad combination switch in the steering column. The lower 2 brake lights only pass through it so the turn signals can cancel the brake lights when needed.

That requires a special puller and precautions for the air bag so i suggest letting the shop replace it.

Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to Chevy man's Post: Why did the third brake light not work when I put in the new switch?
You either blew the fuse when you were messing with it or you put in a bad switch.
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to Chevy man's Post: The fuses were ok but what are the chances of getting a bad switch?
It's possible but the odds are better on blowing a fuse.