Bob
Bob, Auto Tech
Experience:  Plus 40 years GM, over 30 certified with Chevrolet, ASE certified Master Tech. (Expired, Retired)

94 astro van side door.

Customer Question

94 astro van side door.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Bob replied 7 years ago.

REMOVAL & INSTALLATION

See Figure 1

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 1: Exploded view of the upper/lower roller brackets and cable latch-sliding door assembly

1. Remove the track cover.

2. Matchmark the alignment of the lower roller bracket-to-door position.

3. Remove the upper roller bracket-to-door screws, then the lower roller bracket-to-sliding door bolts.

4. Using an assistant, to support the sliding door, open the door and roll the center roller bracket off the end of the track.

To install,

1. Use an assistant to roll the center roller bracket onto the end of the track.

2. Align the lower roller bracket-to-door marks and install the mounting bolts. Tighten all of the door roller bracket bolts to 20 ft. lbs. (27 Nm).

ADJUSTMENT

See Figures 2, 3, 4 and 5

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 2: If the sliding door striker must be removed, first make alignment marks ...

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 3: ... then loosen and remove the striker bolt using a suitable driver (usually a Torx®)

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 4: Sliding door gap adjustments

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 5: Exploded view of the door striker mounting-sliding door assembly

Although the sliding door is designed without any adjustment provisions, it is possible to rework certain portions of the system.

• Using the rear striker, at the center rear of the door, adjust the height and flushness.

• Using the lower roller bracket, adjust the parallel gap at the base of the door.

• To obtain flushness and vertical support, at the front of the door, adjust the door locator pins and sockets.

• To obtain proper gap and a level swing-in, at the rear of the door, adjust the center roller track fore and aft.

• Using Lubriplate® or equivalent, lubricate the roller track contact surfaces.

1. To obtain the height (up/down) and the flushness (in/out) movements, between the door and the rear quarter panel, enlarge the rear striker hole.

When making the rear striker adjustments, DO NOT bend the striker to obtain the adjustment.

1. To obtain a parallel gap between the base of the door and the rocker panel, loosen the lower roller bracket bolts. Check and/or adjust the gap between the quarter panel and the door; the gap should be parallel from the window area down to the rocker panel. Tighten the lower bracket mounting bolts to 20 ft. lbs. (27 Nm).

To obtain the parallel adjustment, the upper bracket hole may have to be enlarged; enlarging the hole may mean that the feature alignment of the door may have to be compromised.

1. To obtain flushness between the door and the rocker panel, adjust the lower locating pin so that its surface is in contact with the outer edges of the locator guide. If you are having trouble obtaining the flushness, perform the following procedures:

1. Using a rubber hammer, strike the locator pin (while in position) to bend the sheet metal slightly.

2. Using a portable grinder, remove some of the material from the top or bottom of the locator guide; DO NOT remove too much material that a hole is ground through the guide.

3. Readjust the door height at the lower roller bracket.

2. Adjust the upper locator pin until it is flush with the locator guide; the locator should rub the outer edge of the locator guide. If you are having trouble obtaining the adjustment, perform the following procedures:

3. To obtain equal gaps between the door, the quarter panel and the door pillar, perform the following procedures:

1. For access to the center roller track, remove the right rear tail light bezel, the interior trim from around the track and the track cover.

2. Inspect the track rollers; the bottom rollers should ride on the track base and the side roller should ride on the outer flange of the track.

3. Loosen the track fasteners and slide the track rearward until it comes in contact the center rollers, then center the door in the opening. Tighten the track fasteners by starting with the one closest to the rear door striker.

4. Loosen the forward track fastener, then push the track up or down until the rear latch rolls onto the striker in a level position; if necessary, elongate the hole.

5. Install the track cover, the interior trim and the rear tail light bezel.

4. Adjust the upper roller bracket so that the roller runs in the middle of the track; it must not touch the upper or lower edge of the track. If necessary physically adjust it, remove it from the bracket and bend it at its base.