Virtual Wrench
Virtual Wrench, Chevy Mechanic
Experience:  35 years Master Mechanic

how do i replace the headlight on a 2005 chevy cavalier

lost on how to replace headlight on my 2005 cavalier

Thanks for asking!

It is a small halogen lite bulb that is removed from the inside of the headlight assembly. You need to open the hood and look at the back side of the headlamp area, there you will find a plastic socket asm. with some wires attached to it, that you turn approx. 1/4 turn and remove the socket. The bulb is then pulled out and you can install the new one. NOTE: try not to touch the new bulb with your fingers, as it might get the bulb wet and burn out prematurely.

If this has answered your question please click on ACCEPT or if you have any other questions regarding this please ask!!

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Virtual Wrench's Post: there is no space to get access to the back of the headlight and plastic part that goes acrossed the front of the car over the headlight and raditor. i have removed that but cant get any further

The bulb cannot be replaced from the front. I know there is very little room on the back side, but that's where you access it. Which side are you working on? Are you trying to replace the light on the battery side? If so then take a look at the other side, it has more room. Then you can see what you have to do. Let me know, I will be here for ya.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Virtual Wrench's Post: behide the headlight housing it metal do you have a diagramon how to remove this? something from like a clitons guide?

Do you by chance have the new headlight? It appears that they have changed the headlamp arrangement for this year car to a complete headlight assembly. If thats the case in your car then removal will be different. Let me know.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Virtual Wrench's Post: yes i have the new bulb a sylvania model # XXXXX su/2 silverstar ultra

OK that checks out to be the one it calls for. So it has to come out of the backside of the assembly.If you are sure that there is no way to remove from under the hood then you can try removing the complete assembly from the front, here is a picture of the assembly, notice the 2 arms coming out of the back, at the end of those arms is where the assembly attaches to the car. The bolts you need to take out will come down from the top. Give that a try and let me know.