Michael
Michael, Auto technician
Experience:  21 years Foriegn and Domestic driveability diagnosis and repair.Fuel injection specialist.ASE Cert.
311867

2004 chevy: passenger seat there is a magnetic switch

Customer Question

In my 2004 chevy silverado passenger seat there is a magnetic switch, looks like part # XXXXX , could you tell me what is for and how it works?
Category: Chevy
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Relist: No answer yet.
Expert:  Michael replied 10 years ago.
That part# XXXXX not register with my GM parts index. What you are probably looking at is the seat belt magnetic sensor switch. It may also be the passenger side auto air bag switch if you have passenger side airbags.It senses when an adult sits in the seat.
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to Michael's Post: This sensor runs on the track and there is a metal part that it runs in between, the sensor looks like a c. The sensor is atached to the seat bracket and the metal part is atached to the lower track. I need to know how it works?
Expert:  Michael replied 10 years ago.
Hello again. Good description, I understand now. That is a seat position sensor. It determines the passengers position in relationship to the airbag deployment zone and is used to determine which type of deployment will be required.It identifies if the seat is foreward or rearward of the threshold point.

Please click my accept button if this answers your question.Bonuses are greatly appreciated as experts recieve only a small portion of your question offer but a larger % of bonuses.If you need more help here,just ask.Good luck

Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to Michael's Post: How could I bypass it? I replaced my seats and there is no place to attach it.
Expert:  Michael replied 10 years ago.

Are you saying this is on the replacement seat? Or the replacement seat does not have the sensor and the wire connector is just hanging there?or did you just replace the top part of the seat and all of it is still there?? Is the airbag light lit? Do you have a passenger side airbag disable switch operated by the ignition key on the dash?

Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to Michael's Post: The replacement seat does not have a sensor and there is no way to conect the sensor to it. I have a switch but I get a message on the information screen to check the air bags. Coul I jump the connector to bypass the sensor?
Expert:  Michael replied 10 years ago.
Any person who unlawfully removes or tampers with an airbag can be subject to a fine of not more than $5,000 or imprisonment for not more than one year in a county jail or both.the federal government allowed certain car owners to purchase an on-off switch for their air bags if not already equipped. Auto dealers and service outlets install the switches. Only people who fit into the following categories are eligible:
  • Those who cannot avoid placing rear-facing infant seats in the front seat
  • Those who cannot adjust their driving position to keep back at least 10 inches from the steering wheel
  • Those who cannot avoid situations, such as car pools, that require a child age 12 or under to ride in the front seat
  • Those who have a medical condition that places them at some specific risk

You did not answer my question about the ON?OFF switch on the dash.Is there one?

Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to Michael's Post: Yes there is a switch but with the air bag switch on the off position there is still a message to check the air bags. This is a commercial vehicle and no one rides. I need the message off so I can read the milage meter. If I take a wire and jump the connector what will happen?
Expert:  Michael replied 10 years ago.

Good Luck.