Tim Basham
Tim Basham, ASE Certified Master Technician
Experience:  30 years multi line tech ASE cert master tech ASE engine machinist, 9 years GM dealer exp.

I have a 96 S-10 Blazer. The rear hatch will not open. I ...

I have a 96 S-10 Blazer. The rear hatch will not open. I can hear it working when the button is pressed. How can I get the tailgate open without distroying the whole back panel, so I can fix the problem.
Category: Chevy
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Relist: I still need help.
Expert:  Tim Basham replied 7 years ago.
It is almost inpossible to get to the latch mechinism on this with out doing some damage. You can remove the screw across bottom of panel but the ones on each side at upper area of tail gate you can not get to. You can try to reach up into tailgate with just to lower screws removed but I ussually go ahead and pull the panel loose from the side screws and then install trim washers when I reinstall the panel. doing it this way does very little damage to panle and gives you full access to latchs to get everything open and repaired.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Relist: I still need help.
In reply to the answer received. I did look at the rear tailgate and there are no screws visible anywhere on the gate. No screws are visible when gate is closed. I am looking for a way to open the latch so that the back window will open so the gate will come down and I can fix the lock or whatever is keeping the glass from opening when you press the elec. button. I just wanted to know if there is a way to open the latch without putting a big hole in the plastic panel that covers it. Thank you

Sorry I gave you info on the old body style tail gate system . On your body site the panel is held on with plastic push fasteners. If you start pulling at bottom it should release. Be aware that the plastic retainers like to break when removing panel. You say you here the actuator working so either you have a bad cable or the latch is bound up. I am going to attach a wiring diagram for you just in case you need it. as for any other way to open window sorry there is no other way other than the electric switch or removing the panel to manually operate the latch.

tail gate wiring

Experience: 30 years multi line tech ASE cert master tech ASE engine machinist, 9 years GM dealer exp.