HDGENE, ASE Master Tech
Experience:  25 years Auto experience, Ford, GM, Chrysler, Asian & European

How do I replace a front crank seal on a 22RE engine?

Customer Question

Category: Chevy
Expert:  HDGENE replied 10 years ago.

You will want to inspect the front crank pulley for a groove worn into it from the seal, if it has a groove you will want to replace the pulley as well.

• Always replace the o-ring when replacing the seal.
  • Inspect the crankshaft pulley for a groove where the seal lip rides. Sleeves are available as an aftermarket repair option to replacing the pulley.
  • The new replacement seal may be thinner than the one you are removing. This is so that the seal lip will not sit in the same groove.

"a" bolt: 18 (25 Nm)
"b" bolts: 14 (19 Nm)
"c" bolts: 9 (13 Nm)

Crankshaft pulley bolt: 116 (157 Nm)

Remove the fan belts and remove the bolts out of the crank pulley. Remove the crank pulley and pop out the front pump seal.Repack the new seal with vaseline or grease to keep from popping the garter spring out of the new seal and drive it in with a suitable size socket that fits over the outer perimeter of the seal.