Ask Don 'Mo Lurch' Your Own Que...

Don 'Mo Lurch'
Don 'Mo Lurch', Auto Mech / Electronics
Experience:  Chevrolet Cert., Heavy Line Mech, Race Shop Owner, Mobile Electronics.

how to remove the fan on a 98 s10 4 cyl

Customer Question

i need to remove the fan cluch and fan on my 98 4 cyl s-10
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Don 'Mo Lurch' replied 7 years ago.

REMOVAL & INSTALLATION

See Figures 1 through 5

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 1: Unfasten the cooling fan retaining bolts... .

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 2: ... then remove the fan and clutch assembly from the vehicle

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 3: Unfasten the fan clutch-to-fan bolts and separate the fan and clutch assembly

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 4: View of the fan-to-fan clutch mounting-typical 2.2L engine without A/C

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 5: View of the fan-to-fan clutch mounting-typical 4.3L engine with A/C

DO NOT use or repair a damaged fan assembly. An unbalanced fan assembly could fly apart and cause personal injury or property damage. Replace damaged assemblies with new ones.

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.

2. Remove the upper radiator shroud and, if desired for additional clearance, remove the radiator from the vehicle.

Although it is not necessary in most cases, the radiator may be removed from the vehicle for easier access to the fan retainers. If the radiator is left in place, use extra caution to prevent damage to the fragile radiator fins.

1. Remove the fan assembly attaching nuts, then remove the fan assembly from the engine.

Some vehicles use a spacer between the fan and the water pump pulley. If used, be sure to retain the spacer for installation.

1. If necessary, the clutch may be removed from the fan by removing the attaching nuts or bolts (as applicable).

To install:

1. If removed, install the fan to the clutch and secure using the fasteners. Tighten the fasteners to 24 ft. lbs. (33 Nm).

2. If equipped, align the yellow paint mark on the fan clutch hub with the yellow paint mark on the water pump hub. This will help maintain a balanced fan assembly.

3. Position the spacer (if used) and fan assembly to the water pump pulley and secure using the fasteners. Tighten the fasteners to 17 ft. lbs. (24 Nm) on 1994-97 models and 24 ft. lbs. (33 Nm) on 1998-99 models.

4. If removed for clearance, install the radiator.

5. Install the upper fan shroud.

6. Connect the negative battery cable.

7. If the radiator was removed, properly refill the engine cooling system.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to Lurch's Post: This answer is for an earlier year (before 98)

the fan cluch assembly does not attach to the pilly like that, thereis a shaft that attaches to the cluch.

I had a 94 s-10 that the fan cluch assembly was like the one mentioned in this answer. this is a newer s-10

Fan comes Off shaft CCW:

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to Lurch's Post: this did not make any sence? I did not get the image. Please resend

The image shows fine here....

Try:

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to Lurch's Post: still did not get it..

what is ccw

do you have to hold the pulley and turn the nut?

do u know what i am talking about?

CCW....Counter Clockwise.

Facing the Fan, put a Wrench on the Left side of the Shaft Nut on Inside of Fan by the Pulley.
Tap the Wrench Down. Don't Push or try to Turn, because the Pulley & Belt will try to turn.
Just Tap Wrench.......Use a Large 18 inch Crescent, be sure it is on tight.

Do you want me to E-Mail Picture?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to Lurch's Post: PLEASE E-MAIL THE PIC

I WILL GO TRY THAT WHILE I WAIT

THANKS
Need your E-Mail address??
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to Lurch's Post: i GUESS THAT WOULD HELP
XXX@XXXXXX.XXX

by the way i tried what you said and the pulley just keeps spinning
Did you get it?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to Lurch's Post: yes i did

i replied to your e-mail

You need a Long Wrench, & Tap the Wrench End.
If the Pulley is Turning when you Tap, Put a wedge in the Belt & Pulley or Hold Belt by Squeezing the Belt together at one of the Pulleys.
It will come off.
Be sure you are Tapping to the Left. Counter Clock Wise