Bill, mechanic
Experience:  mechanic since 1976

2002 Chevy Trailblazer: accelerate..the engine loses power..rpms

I own a 2002 Chevy Trailblazer LTZ. Every morning i experience the same problem. While attempting to accelerate, the engine loses power and the rpms decrease. Sometimes it sputters or even stalls. Usually when this happens I floor the gas pedal. It revs the engine really high and eventually it kicks in and the rpms return to a high level. Other times I pull over, put the vehicle in park and rev the engine. Doing this a few times usually does the trick. Once the problem is remedied it is fine for the remainder of the day but the problem returns each morning
What could be causing this loss of power? I'm thinking something in the fuel system is the cause. I've tried puting fuel injector cleaner and dry gas into the tank.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Bill replied 10 years ago.
I think you are on the right track to verify the fuel pressure should be checked while acting up. But in the meantime if you have not changed the fuel filter it would be a good Idea then if it persist check system for bad regulator and pump.
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to Bill's Post: How do I verify fuel pressure?
How do I check system for bad regulator?
How do I check system for bad pump?
Have you encountered this problem before?
Why does it do this in the morning but not for the rest of the day?
Expert:  Bill replied 10 years ago.
As I said check fuel filter first. To check fuel pressure there is a schrader valve on fuel rail by intake a gauge will need to be attached to monitor, if low restrict return line pressure should be able to hit 80-90psi if not pump is weak if so regulator is bad. Also if so equipped pull vac line from regulator, check for fuel in vaccum line, if there, regulator is bad. Filter is common, on 4.8, 5.3, 6.0 liter engines regulator is common, and fuel pump is common on all gm usually do to plugged filters added strain and or poor connections
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to Bill's Post: Thanks for the reply.
Is there a way to check the fuel filter? Or should I just change it and see what happens?
Expert:  Bill replied 10 years ago.
You need to remove it, If it hasn't been changed in the last year change it. but you can empty it into a clear glass bottle see if it is clear and what I do (not recommended for all sorts of reasons) is blow through it, if it is easy to not clogged if you can't or its difficult its plugged, Compare to new one.
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to Bill's Post: Thanks!
Sorry to be a pain, but is there any other advice you can offer?
Expert:  Bill replied 10 years ago.
Only other thing is to check for codes stored. If nothing there this usually leads to your diagnoses of weak fuel system.It may even give you a lean condition but more oft than not, if there is no code and those symptoms it is a fuel issue. you can have someone monitor sensor stats to see if anything is awry. But it would have to be the proper scan tool, (not just a code reader)Codes can be checked at most major parts stores at no cost.If this has been helpful an accept would be appreciated if you need more info let me know, headed off for the night will check back in am. thank you Bill