Tim Basham
Tim Basham, ASE Certified Master Technician
Experience:  30 years multi line tech ASE cert master tech ASE engine machinist, 9 years GM dealer exp.

1975 chevy: bulbs..tail lights brake lights..pull the steering wheel

Customer Question

I have a 1975 chevy pickup the turn signals do not work, all bulbs are good, have tail lights brake lights hazards work, only the turn signals do not, when moving the switch on the steering column nothing happens, no lighted arrows, no clicking sound and no signal lights. Under the dash/steering column is a wire harness it's looks broken and two wires with metal tab ends are hanging loose, they will not insert into the harness becuase that area of the harness is broken, only these two wires are missing and have the same tab ends as the other wires plugged into the harness. Long story short, I need to replace the harness but how? Do I have to pull the steering wheel off? Can you give me a step by step procedure on how to do this, or where to get instructions? Thank you
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Tim Basham replied 10 years ago.

I am attaching wiring diagrams for the 1975 chevy truck to help you verify if the wirings your seeing are the problem. As for parts Lmc trucks is a good online vender for parts for these older trucks. If the turn signal switch is the problem then the steering wheel will have to be removed and the signal switch replaced. There are several special tolls required to disassemble the steering column.