mrrowland1
mrrowland1, Master auto tech
Experience:  Working ASE Master/L1(advanced engine diag./Performance) with 27 years experience
1769403

99 Chevy Blazer wont start

1999 Chevy Blazer will not start, turns over very well, but never "catches". Let the car sit overnight, it started right away today. Drove arouind the block. turned off, started 2x successfully, third time it acted jusl like it did before: will tune over and over but not start. Still will not start... Any ideas?
Do you have a fuel pressure gauge that you can hook up to the fueul rail?It really sound like you have a fuel pressure problem.You need to find out what the fuel pressure is at.Specifications for your vehicle are 60-66 psi with the key on,engine off (4.3,5.0,&5.7) or 55-62 (4.8,5.3,6.0,& 7.4). Also when you check make sure the pressure doesn't bleed down too fast (20 psi in 30 minutes time).Let me know your results and i'll walk you through from there.
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to mrrowland1's Post: Nope, no fuel pressure gauge, sorry. Here is a little more info though: I have an after market keyless entry/security system,( a Viper) haven't really had any issues with it, but maybe it is related, and the SES light stays on when I leave the ignition switched to "on" after I have tried to start it. It started the first time I tried it this morning after it sat overnight, and ran like a top when I took it around the block, it even started two times after I killed it when I got back from the test drive. On the third time of shutting it off and starting it rather rapidly, it would not start and has not started in the 15 attempts since then. Thanks!
Do you have a 12 volt test light or a meter? Most aftermarket alarms cut power to the ignition coil to disable the ignition.If you suspect a problem with the alarm you may have no choice but to remove or replace it.We've had sooo many problems with aftermarket alarms.I've had to remove 6 in the last 2 months.But you can check this at the coil with test equiptment.The SES light is for the airbags. That may be related if you don't have power flowing out of the ignition switch for that circut. You can also check for spark by having crank the engine ove with the coil wire pulled off and held a 1/4 of an inch from the engine block for ground.That's a quick check for the ignition system to see if it's functioning.Let me know what you find.
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to mrrowland1's Post: Sorry to display my ignorance, but where is the Ignition coil in the Blazer and what does it look like? I have a few gueses. but would appreciate some direction. Thanks!
If you look on the passanger side of the engine ,you'll see a component that has a plug wire attached to it.That is the coil.Follow that down to the distributor and unhook it from there.Hold it a 1/4 inch from ground and have someone crank it over and look for spark.
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to mrrowland1's Post: I will see what I can do.
ok,let me know.