Chevy man
Chevy man, Chevy Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified as an L1 Master Technician with extensive experience in Chevy products

How do you test the fuel pump relay on a 94 silverado

How do you test the fuel pump relay on a 94 silverado? My truck has been stalling, usually when in idle (coasting downhill, rolling to a stop light, sitting in a parking lot). I have replaced the fuel pump, fuel filter, and PCV valve. Would like to test the relay before replacing it to make sure it is the problem.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Chevy man replied 10 years ago.

I can tell you not to waste your time checking that. You can completely remove the fuel pump relay with the engine running and it won't stall. It has a redundent power feed through the oil pressure switch and doesn't even need a relay to run. it would just have a long crank before starting..

The oil pressure switch would have to be shot and not working for the relay to effect the running.

You can really test the reliabilty of the relay. You would have to just replace it to find out.

Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to Chevy man's Post: OK, so is your answer to replace it to find out, or should I look elsewhere for my problem? Sorry, the last statement threw me for a loop, so not sure what you are suggesting
I was trying to still answer your question although I bellieve you are on the wrong track with the relay.
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to Chevy man's Post: OK. So don't mess with the relay, instead find something else. To get the answer to the correct path, do I need to submit an additional question? (First time user of this system).

Thank you for your quick response!
This question was pretty specific about the relay so you should accept this one and start another one with all the symptoms and what you have done so far to get some help on the root problem.