frank
frank, Chevrolet Technician
Experience:  33 years experience,24 years of Chevroler/GM experience and training .ASE Recertified Master Tech,
1816887

1986 chevy truck: (1) were is the fuel filter located...bad fuel punp

I have a 1986 chevy truck. (1) were is the fuel filter located. (2) If I have a bad fuel punp. how to test it to see if it is bad. (3) what would be the best way to change is out. Thanks
Category: Chevy
Expert:  frank replied 10 years ago.

Which truck and engine?

Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to frank's Post: It is a 1986 S10 truch Ext. Cab with a 2.8 liter eng. Auto Trans.
Expert:  frank replied 10 years ago.
Carbureted 2.8 has the fuel filter in the carb behind the 1" hex nut at the fuel inlet line.To test the pump,remove the line and route it into a bottl-it should move 1 pt in 15 seconds and with a gauge on it it will be 3-5 psi.To change it is a matter of getting to the lines and bolts from underneath,its tight.Frank
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to frank's Post: Will this test to see if the fuel pump is working and what is the best way to change out fuel pump in tank.
Expert:  frank replied 10 years ago.
This is carbureted?
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to frank's Post: yes it is carbureted
Expert:  frank replied 10 years ago.
The fuel pump is mounted on the engine block in front on the drivers side if I remember right.It tight,but can be done.You need flex sockets swivels and extensions.