2004 Chevy Impala: GM..Passlock..The Security light comes

I have a 2004 Chevy Impala. It has the GM Passlock. The Security light comes on the message board and sometimes the car will not start. But if I turn the key to the ignition and after all the panel lights come on on the dash, then turn the ignition off take the key out and wait 10 minutes9Exactly 10 minutes) the car will start. My question is this. Is there anyway to totally disarm the system or by pass it, I have benn given a quote of 500 dollars to repair or replace it. I would rather just do away with the system and not spend that kind of money on something that I really don't need. Comments please
unlike the earlier passlock systems of the late 80's and early 90's the new passlock system is tied into the body control module and the powertrain control module....the old systems could be disabled by putting a resistor in line where it would connect to the lock cylinder...the new system is far more intricate and honestly far too dificult to conceive bypassing it....there are too many circuits and a more elaborate signal system involved.....

You can bypass the sensor portion of the system but that's all. The system would still be operational and subject to failures in other areas but the key sensor would be bypassed.

here it is.

Here is what you need to do.Go buy a 2.2k ohm resistor at an electronics store. Go to radio shack just get one as close to that as you can.Remove the covers on the steering column and locate three small wires at the lock cylinder.Cut the yellow wire and the orange/black wire.Solder the resistor between those wires.Tape it up and put the covers back on and follow this relearn procedure.Don't worry about clearing the codes.If this doesn't work you have a wiring problem in the steering column.

30 Minute Re-Learn Procedure

1. Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.

2. Attempt to start the engine, then release the key to ON (vehicle will not start).

3. Observe the SECURITY telltale, after approximately 10 minutes the telltale will turn OFF.

4. Turn OFF the ignition, and wait 5 seconds.

5. Repeat steps 1 through 4 two more times for a total of 3 cycles/30 minutes ( the vehicle is now ready to relearn the Passlock™ Sensor Data Code and/or passwords on the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK).

The vehicle learns the Passlock™ Sensor Data Code and/or password XXXXX the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK. You must turn the ignition OFF before attempting to start the vehicle.

1. Start the engine (the vehicle has now learned the Passlock™ Sensor Data Code and/or password).

2. With a scan tool, clear any DTCs if desired (history DTCs will self clear after 100 ignition cycles).