frank
frank, Chevrolet Technician
Experience:  33 years experience,24 years of Chevroler/GM experience and training .ASE Recertified Master Tech,
1816887

How do I replace the door hinges on my 1999 Chevy S10 ...

Customer Question

How do I replace the door hinges on my 1999 Chevy S10 Blazer? I see that there are replacement hinges available that appear to be bolt in.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  frank replied 10 years ago.
Are you having a problem with them being worn out and droping when opening?
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Relist: No answer yet.
The original door hinges are appear to be glued on so I need to know how to remove them. I also and trying to find out how the new hinges are installed. Mechanical ability is not a problem neither is access to tools since I am currently employed with one of the largest medium and heavy duty truck manufacturers in the world.
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to frank's Post: Yes especially on the passenger side. The pin on the top hinge has already worn through the bushing and egged out the hole in the hinge. I considered welding up the damaged portion of the hole but thought that replacing the hinge if possible would be a better fix.
Expert:  frank replied 10 years ago.
You might want to consider trying the bushings first.The hinges are welded on-that is a caulk to keep water out of the welds.You would have to remove the door completely.In order to work on it you have to remove the check spring with a compressor and then remove the pins.Once you get the door off you will see the spot weld indents.Drill out the spot welds and use a die grinder to get all of the weld off. Then bolt in the new ones.Youll have to remove the inner door panel and the trim kick panel-the nuts go inside.Then you r going to have to center the door and align-use wedges and a extra person on the outside and position the door,then climb in and tighten the nuts while he holds the door in position.The busings are 2 diffenert sizes-the pins are stepped.Frank