Generous Motors
Generous Motors, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Mechanic for 25 years with experience on Buicks, GM Trucks, etc.
823904

Remove the front rotor from a 1980 Chevrolet Four Wheel Drive axle

Customer Question

How do I remove the front rotor from a 1980 Chevrolet Four Wheel Drive axle
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Generous Motors replied 8 years ago.
HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on Just Answer.

-What model is your chevy?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Generous Motors's Post: 1980 Chevy 1/2 ton Suburban 4X4

Here are the steps for that model.

1. Remove the locking hubs.
2. Remove the wheel bearing outer lock nut, retainer and wheel bearing inner adjusting nut.
3. Remove the hub and disc assembly and outer wheel bearing.
4. Remove the oil seal and inner bearing cone from the hub using a brass drift and tapping with a hammer. Discard the oil seal.
5. Remove the inner and outer bearing cups using a brass drift and a hammer.
6. Clean, inspect and lubricate all parts as require with a high speed grease.

WARNING
Lubrication must be applied to prevent deterioration before the unit is placed in service.

7.Assemble the outer wheel bearing cup into the wheel hub using Tool J-6368 and Driver Handle J-8092.
8.Assemble the inner wheel bearing cup into the wheel hub using Tool J-23448 and Driver Handle J-8092.
9. Pack the wheel bearing cone with a high melting point type wheel bearing grease and insert the cone into the cup.
10. Install the hub and disc and wheel bearings to the spindle.
11. Adjust the wheel bearings.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Generous Motors's Post: This is not specific enough. I already had this generic info. from the Haynes Manual. None of the illustration are specific enough for me to know how to properly remove the hub/rotor. I need to know if a spanner wrench is needed for this model and what size or number it is. I already have the locking hub mechanism off and the e-ring off the axle shaft. I now need to know how to get the hub/rotor off, specifically.

I'm not aware of any special wrench for this situation.
I've had to use a rubber mallot at times.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Generous Motors's Post: The answer was not helpful, in fact it confused the issue because a spanner wrench is required.

What size spanner wrench did it take?