frank
frank, Chevrolet Technician
Experience:  33 years experience,24 years of Chevroler/GM experience and training .ASE Recertified Master Tech,
1816887

2001 Chevy Suburban: i remove the ignition switch..locksmith

how do i remove the ignition switch on a 2001 Chevy Suburban? The key has broken off and the locksmith he can fix it if I get the switch out.

Thanks,

Lance
Category: Chevy
Expert:  frank replied 10 years ago.
You need the cylinder to turn.If the cylinder will not turn with what you have ,then it gets expensive because you will need the lock cylinder and theft lock housing.
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to frank's Post: i can turn the cylinder
Expert:  frank replied 10 years ago.
Good-remove the cover on the bottom or the steering column.its held in with 2 screws.The top cover is held down with 1 or 2 screws that come in from the bottom,close to the steering wheel and on a line that is about center of the steering shaft-very small headed screws,they are inverted torx headed.Lift the upper cover up.On the top of the housing where the lock cylinder goes will be a small hole( about 1/8 in) about 2 inches from where the key goes in and a little forward of the center line of the key.Insert a allen wrench that will fit and rotate the key to the crank position while depressing the retainer with the allen wrench and the lock cylinder will come out.The ignition switch will be in the on position at this point.Let me know how you are doing .Frank
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to frank's Post: Frank, that worked. I got it out! But I can't get it back in now? It looks like it should just slide back in and lock itself back in.

Is there a trick I'm missing?

Thanks,

Lance
Expert:  frank replied 10 years ago.
If the ignition is in the on position and the key is in the cylinder it should just push in turn to lock.