frank
frank, Chevrolet Technician
Experience:  33 years experience,24 years of Chevroler/GM experience and training .ASE Recertified Master Tech,
1816887

Brake lights dont work

I have a 2000 Astro van. The brake lights don't work but the turn signals and tail lights do. I have repalced the brake fuse and they still don't work. What could be the problem?
Do the hazards flashers work?Does the high mount stop lamp work? You could have a bad brake swicth,a bad turn signal switch or the hazards could be on.but not flashing-the brake lights wont work in this condition.Let me know .Frank
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to frank's Post: Tahnk you for your reply. I have been working until after 10PM and haven't been able to get back to you. I check the emergency flashers and they aren't working and the high brake light isn't working either.

Where is the brake switch located?

Dennis
The brake light shitch is mounted under the dash and connects to the brake pedal.If the hazards dont work,check the fuses and flasher.Check the brake lights while turning the hazards off and on and see if they try to work. The brake lights go thru the turn signal switch.Frank
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to frank's Post: Frank

It seems that the flasher unit is a dealer item. So I won't be able to let you know if this works until I can get one from the dealer.

Thank you
Dennis

If the flashers dont work for the hazards and brake lights dont work with the hazards on or off-suspect the turn signal switch-you can try a flasher but that wont affect the brake lights.

Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to frank's Post: Then your saying that I need to replace both the harzard and the brake switch?
Check the brake switch-you have power supply and power to brake lamps.usally the white wire and the orange wire are for brake lights-if power goes thru the brake switch its good,if not its bad.The fact that your hazards do not work along with the brake lamps not working makes me think that the turn signal switch is bad.Step on the brakes and wiggle the turn signal lever and hazard swith,if the brake lights work,its the t/s switch
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to frank's Post: I just replaced the flasher. Unfortunately everything is still the same, blinkers work, nor emergency flashers or brakes.
You did not understand.The brake lights and hazards are tired together.What i wanted you to do was fiddle with the hazars switch while appling the brakes to se it they worked.I will print a schematic for youon wendsday so you can see how it works.As long at the turnsiganls work the bulbs and wiring are good.The brake light power thru the hazard put or the turnsignal switch-that being bad is very likely. Frank
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to frank's Post: I did as you had requested. I applied the brakes and moved the turn signal and flasher switch. Since this didn't work I figured that the turn signal switch was bad and replaced it. This didn't change anything. Could the new switch be bad?

Dennis
Shame on me Dennis,I printed the schematic but forgot it at work.The brake switch has a orange wire going into it for power.When the pedal is depressed it completes the circuit on a white wire.That wire also branches for your center high mount stop lamp and has a pull down resistor in it.The white wire goes to the t/s switch and then to the t/signals and brake lamps ,get it power-same bulb-same circuit.Did you say if the high mount stop light works?If so the brake switch is good.If not check for power to the brake switch on the orange wire,then step on the pedal and the white wire should get power..Frank
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to frank's Post: Frank

I checked the wires yesterday.

O Light green - always on when key is on
O White and bright green - on when key is on
   but off when I press the brake peddle
O Double Black - always on when key is on
O Purple - never on
O Orange - never on
O White - never on

What now?

Dennis
You have no power to the brake switch on the orange wire.Double check your fuses-all of them.The fuse is for hazard /brake. Test it with a test light. If it still checks out then you must have a open wire between the fuse box and brake switch.If you cant find the break you can run a fused wire to the switch and bypass the dead circuit. Frank