david
david, Heavy Duty Repair Mechanic
Experience:  Certified Master Technician,Certified in diesel & gasoline engines
533087

I have a 91 Chevy Lumina I am trying to replace the rear ...

Customer Question

I have a 91 Chevy Lumina I am trying to replace the rear break assembley. I would like any advice you have to offer me and a like to a break assembly diagram or schematic? Any help would be greatly apperciated
Category: Chevy
Expert:  david replied 8 years ago.

thank you for the question hope this helps.

these are the step by step to replace the rear breaks

Exploded view of the rear drum brake system

to remove the brake drum

1. Raise and safely support the vehicle with jack stands.

2. Mark the relationship of the wheel to the axle flange to help maintain wheel balance after assembly.

3. Remove the tire and wheel assembly.

4. Mark the relationship of the brake drum to the axle flange.

Do not pry against the splash shield that surrounds the backing plate in an attempt to free the drum. This will bend the splash shield.

If difficulty is encountered in removing the brake drum, the following steps may be of assistance.

1. Make sure the parking brake is released.

2. Back OFF the parking brake cable adjustment.

3. Remove the access hole plug from the backing plate.

4. Using a screwdriver, back OFF the adjusting screw.

5. Re-install the access hole plug to prevent dirt or contamination from entering the drum brake assembly.

6. Use a small amount of penetrating oil applied around the brake drum pilot hole.

7. Carefully remove the brake drum from the vehicle.

removing the brake shoes.

1. Using tool J-38400, or an equivalent brake spanner and remover, remove the actuator spring from the adjuster lever. Use care not to distort the spring when removing it.

2. Lift the end of the retractor spring from the adjuster shoe assembly. Insert the hook end of the J-38400 between the retractor spring and the shoe. Pry slightly to remove the spring end from the hole in the shoe.

3. Pry the end of the retractor spring toward the axle with the flat end of the tool until the spring snaps down OFF the shoe web onto the backing plate.

4. Remove the adjuster shoe and lining assembly, adjuster actuator and adjusting bolt/screw assembly.

5. Disconnect the parking brake lever from the shoe. DO NOT remove the parking brake lever from the cable end unless it is being replaced.

6. Using J-38400 or the equivalent, lift the end of the retractor spring from the adjuster shoe assembly.

7. Insert the hook end of the J-38400 or the equivalent between the retractor spring and the shoe. Pry slightly to remove the spring end from the hole in the shoe. Pry the end of the retractor spring toward the axle with the flat end of the tool until the spring snaps down OFF the shoe web onto the backing plate.

8. Remove the parking brake shoe and lining assembly

9. If necessary, remove the retractor spring from the
    anchor plate. If only the shoe and linings are being replaced, it is not necessary to remove the retractor spring.

To install

1. Clean all the brake spring completely with brake solvent and allow to air dry.

2. Disassemble, clean and lubricate the adjuster screw. Once lubricated, reassemble.

3. Clean the backing plate and after it is dry apply a thin coat of brake grease to the brake shoe contact points on the backing plate.

4. Position the brake shoe, that connects to the parking brake lever, on the backing plate.

5. Using J-38400 or the equivalent, pull the end of the retractor spring up to rest on the web of the shoe. Pull the end of the retractor spring up until it snaps into the slot in the brake shoe.

6. Connect the parking brake lever.

7. Install the remaining shoe and the adjuster screw assembly.

8. Position the brake shoe, using J-38400 or the equivalent, pull the end of the retractor spring up to rest on the web of the shoe. Pull the end of the retractor spring up until it snaps into the slot in the brake shoe.

9. Using J-38400 or the equivalent, spread the brake shoes and work the adjuster screw into position.

10. Install the actuator spring with the U-shaped end going through the web.

11. Install the brake drum, as outlined earlier in this section.

12. Install the tire and wheel assembly and hand-tighten the lug nuts.

13. Adjust the brakes.

14. Carefully lower the vehicle, then tighten the lug nuts to 100 ft. lbs. (140 Nm).

15. Road test the vehicle for proper brake operation.

To install brake drum

1. Install the brake drum onto the vehicle aligning the reference marks on the axle flange.

2. Install the tire and wheel assembly and hand-tighten the lug nuts.

3. Carefully lower the vehicle, then tighten the lug nuts to 100 ft. lbs. (140 Nm).

4. Road test the vehicle for proper brake operation

hope this help and is what you were looking for. if you need more help just post back and i will help.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to david's Post: I'm so sorry I did not give you all the info you needed to awnser the question. These are rear disk breaks? If I could get the same great info for rear disk breaks on a 91 Chevy Lunima that would be GREAT!

Thanks in advance!!
Expert:  david replied 8 years ago.

OK no problem here you go

Exploded view of the rear disc brake components

1. Raise the vehicle and support with jack stands.

2. Remove the rear wheel and tire assemblies.

3. Remove the rear caliper and hang by the suspension with a piece of wire to prevent brake hose damage. Refer to the Caliper removal procedures in this section for assistance.

4. Using a suitable pry bar, disengage the buttons on the outboard pad from the holes in the caliper housing, then remove the outboard pad.

5. Press in on the edge of the inboard pad and tilt outward to release the pad from the pad retainer.

6. Remove the two way check valve from the end of the caliper piston using a small pry bar.

To install
Do NOT allow pliers to contact the actuator screw. Protect the piston so the contact surface does not get damaged.

1. Bottom the piston into the caliper bore by positioning 12 in. (305mm) adjustable pliers over the caliper housing and piston surface.

2. Lubricate a new two way check valve and install it into the end of the piston.

3. Install the inboard brake pad. Engage the pad edge in the retainer tabs closest to the caliper bridge. Press down and snap the tabs at the open side of the caliper. The wear sensor should be at the leading edge of the pad during wheel rotation. The back of the pad must lay flat against the piston. The button on the back of the pad must engage the D-shaped notch in the piston.

If the piston will not align or retract into the bore. Turn the piston clockwise using a piston turning tool J-7624 or equivalent.

1. Install the outboard brake pad. Snap the pad retainer spring into the slots in the caliper housing. The back of the pad must lay flat against the caliper.

2. Install the caliper onto the mounting bracket as outlined in this section.

3. Apply force at least three times to the brake pedal to seat the brake pads before moving the vehicle.

4. Install the rear wheels.

5. Lower the vehicle and check for fluid leaks.

hope this is what you are looking for
good luck