Davo
Davo, Master technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician also L1 Advanced Engine Performance Specialist
112340

how do I change the serpentine belt on a chevy malibu ...

Customer Question

how do I change the serpentine belt on a chevy malibu 2000 with the 3.1
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Davo replied 8 years ago.
This is not one of the easiest ones but it isn't too bad to do.Make sure you use a block of wood between the jack and the oil pan.Only jack the engine enough to unbolt the mount at first until all the bolts are removed.Then if you need to jack it up more it will be okay.

Drive Belt Replacement

Removal Procedure

Notice: Routine inspection of the belt may reveal cracks in the belt ribs. These cracks will not impair the belt performance. The belt should be replaced if the belt slip occurs if a section of the belt ribs are missing. A single serpentine drive belt is used to drive all engine accessories. All belt driven accessories are rigidly mounted with the belt tension maintained by a spring loaded tensioner. The indicator on the movable portion of the tensioner must be within the limits of the marks of the stationary portion of the tensioner. Any reading outside of these limits indicates either a defective belt or tensioner.

1. Remove engine mount. Refer to Engine Mount Replacement .
    Object Number: 368807  Size: SH
    Click here for detailed picture of above image.

2. Rotate the drive belt tensioner in a clockwise motion using a box end wrench.
  3. Remove the drive belt.

Installation Procedure

Object Number: 368807  Size: SH

1. Rotate the drive belt tensioner in a clockwise motion using a box end wrench.
  2. Install the drive belt. Connect the serpentine drive belt last to the power steering pulley.
  3. Install engine mount. Refer to Engine Mount Replacement .

Engine Mount Replacement

Removal Procedure

1. Support the engine by the oil pan. Refer to Lifting and Jacking the Vehicle in General Information.
    Object Number: 63031  Size: SH

2. Remove the engine mount assembly to engine mount bracket support bolts.
  3. Remove the engine mount to body fasteners.
    Object Number: 63029  Size: SH

4. Remove the engine mount assembly.

Installation Procedure

Object Number: 63029  Size: SH

1. Install the engine mount assembly.

Notice: Use the correct fastener in the correct location. Replacement fasteners must be the correct part number for that application. Fasteners requiring replacement or fasteners requiring the use of thread locking compound or sealant are identified in the service procedure. Do not use paints, lubricants, or corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or fastener joint surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect fastener torque and joint clamping force and may damage the fastener. Use the correct tightening sequence and specifications when installing fasteners in order to avoid damage to parts and systems.

2. Install the body fasteners to the engine mount.

Tighten

Tighten the bolt to 130 N·m (96 lb ft).

Tighten the nut to 66 N·m (49 lb ft).

Object Number: 63031  Size: SH

3. Install the engine mount bracket support bolts to the engine mount.

Tighten
    Tighten the bolt to 130 N·m (96 lb ft).

4. Remove the floor jack.