Davo
Davo, Master technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician also L1 Advanced Engine Performance Specialist
112340

98 chevy malibu: cylinder..a new water pump or can i do it..ramps

Customer Question

on a 98 chevy malibu a 4 cylinder does the engine really have to be dropped to put in a new water pump or can i do it myself by putting the car on ramps?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Davo replied 8 years ago.
No the engine stays in the car.Those pumps are a pain inthe butt though.You will be messing with the timing chain though.

Water Pump Replacement (2.4L)

Removal Procedure

Notice: When adding coolant, it is important that you use GM Goodwrench DEX-COOL™ coolant. If coolant other than DEX-COOL™ is added to the system, the engine coolant will require change sooner: at 50 000 km (30,000 miles) or 24 months.

Caution: Before servicing any electrical component, the ignition and start switch must be in the OFF or LOCK position and all electrical loads must be OFF, unless instructed otherwise in these procedures. If a tool or equipment could easily come in contact with a live exposed electrical terminal, also disconnect the negative battery cable. Failure to follow these precautions may cause personal injury and/or damage to the vehicle or its components.

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
  2. Drain the coolant. Recover the coolant. Refer to Draining and Filling Cooling System .
  3. Disconnect the oxygen sensor connector.
  4. Remove the upper exhaust manifold heat shield.
  5. Disconnect the heater hose quick connect from the heater outlet pipe.
  6. Remove the coolant inlet housing bolt through the exhaust manifold.
  7. Raise and suitably support the vehicle. Refer to Lifting and Jacking the Vehicle in General Information.
  8. Remove the exhaust manifold brace to manifold bolt.
  9. Remove the manifold to exhaust pipe bolts.
  10. Remove the heater outlet pipe bracket to transmission bolt.
    Object Number: 181844  Size: LH
    Click here for detailed picture of above image.

11. Remove the coolant inlet housing assembly to water pump cover bolt.
  12. Disconnect the exhaust pipe from the exhaust manifold. Refer to Catalytic Converter Replacement in Engine Exhaust.

Important: Do not rotate flex coupling more than 4 degrees as damage may occur.

13. Pull down and back on the exhaust manifold pipe in order to disengage the pipe from the exhaust manifold.
  14. Disconnect the coolant inlet pipe from the oil pan Leave the radiator hose attached and pull down on the coolant inlet pipe to disengage it from the water pump. Leave the coolant inlet pipe hanging.
  15. Lower the vehicle.
  16. Remove the vacuum hose from the brake booster.
  17. Remove the exhaust manifold to cylinder head retaining nuts.
  18. Remove the exhaust manifold Refer to Exhaust Manifold Replacement in Engine Mechanical - 2.4L or to Exhaust Manifold Replacement in Engine Mechanical - 3.1L.
  19. Remove the seals and gaskets of the exhaust manifold. Refer to Exhaust Manifold Replacement in Engine Mechanical.
  20. Remove the front timing chain cover. Refer to Timing Chain Housing Replacement in Engine Mechanical - 2.4L.
  21. Remove the timing chain tensioner. Refer to Timing Chain, Sprockets, and/or Tensioner Replacement in Engine Mechanical - 2.4L.
    Object Number: 181858  Size: SH

22. Remove the water pump cover to cylinder block bolts.
    Object Number: 181860  Size: SH

23. Remove the three water pump to timing chain housing nuts.
  24. Remove the water pump and cover assembly.
  25. Remove the water pump cover to coolant pump assembly bolts.
  26. Clean all sealing surfaces.

Installation Procedure

Important: Before you install the coolant pump, read the entire procedure. Pay special attention to the tightening sequences in order to avoid part damage and to provide proper sealing.

Object Number: 181860  Size: SH

1. Install the water pump cover to the water pump assembly.
  2. Install the pump cover bolts. Hand tighten the bolts.
    Object Number: 181858  Size: SH

3. Install the cover to block bolts. Hand tighten the bolts.
  4. Install the coolant pump to timing chain housing nuts. Hand tighten the nuts.
  5. Lubricate the O-ring on the coolant inlet pipe with an antifreeze solution.
  6. Slide the pipe into the water pump cover.
  7. Install the bolts. Hand tighten the bolts.
    Object Number: 181844  Size: LH

8. Torque in sequence as follows:

Notice: Use the correct fastener in the correct location. Replacement fasteners must be the correct part number for that application. Fasteners requiring replacement or fasteners requiring the use of thread locking compound or sealant are identified in the service procedure. Do not use paints, lubricants, or corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or fastener joint surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect fastener torque and joint clamping force and may damage the fastener. Use the correct tightening sequence and specifications when installing fasteners in order to avoid damage to parts and systems.

1. Tighten the pump assembly to timing chain housing nuts.

Tighten
      Tighten nuts to 26 N·m (19 lb ft).

2. Tighten the pump cover to pump assembly bolts.

Tighten
      Tighten the bolts to 14 N·m (124 lb in).

3. Tighten the coolant pump cover to engine block bolts. Tighten the bottom bolt first.

Tighten
      Tighten bolts to 26 N·m (19 lb ft).

4. Tighten the coolant inlet pipe assembly to coolant pump cover bolts.

Tighten

9. Install the exhaust manifold and new gaskets. Refer to Exhaust Manifold Replacement in Engine Mechanical.
  10. Install the exhaust manifold to cylinder head retaining nuts.
  11. Connect the brake vacuum pipe to the cam housing.
  12. Raise and suitably support the vehicle. Refer to Lifting and Jacking the Vehicle in General Information.
  13. Index the exhaust manifold bolts into the exhaust pipe flange. Refer to Catalytic Converter Replacement in Exhaust System.
  14. Install the exhaust pipe to the exhaust manifold.
  15. Install the heater outlet pipe bracket to the transmission.
  16. Turn exhaust both bolts in evenly in order to avoid cocking the exhaust pipe and binding the bolts. Turn in the bolts until the bolts are fully seated.
  17. Install the coolant inlet pipe to the oil pan.

Tighten
    Tighten nuts to 26 N·m (19 lb ft).

18. Install the timing chain tensioner. Refer to Timing Chain, Sprockets, and/or Tensioner Replacement in Engine Mechanical - 2.1L.
  19. Install the timing chain cover. Refer to Timing Chain Housing Replacement in Engine Mechanical - 2.1L.
  20. Lower the vehicle.
  21. Install the exhaust manifold brace to manifold bolt.
  22. Install the manifold to exhaust pipe nuts. Refer to Catalytic Converter Replacement in Exhaust System.
  23. Install the heater hose to the heater pipe.
  24. Inspect the quick connect retainer. Pull heater hose to verify the connection.
  25. Install the upper heat shield to the exhaust manifold.
  26. Connect the oxygen sensor connector.
  27. Fill the radiator with coolant. Refer to Draining and Filling Cooling System .
  28. Connect the negative battery cable.
  29. Inspect the system for leaks.