Davo
Davo, Master technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician also L1 Advanced Engine Performance Specialist
112340

Change the oil and replace the filter on a 2000 Chevy Astro.

Customer Question

I need to know how to change the oil and replace the filter on a 2000 Chevy Astro.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Davo replied 8 years ago.
You will need to jack up the van and support it safely.Then look near the back of the engine on the drivers side.Here is everything else you need to know.

Engine Oil and Oil Filter Replacement

Removal Procedure

Object Number: 188048  Size: SH
    Click here for detailed picture of above image.

1. Raise the vehicle and support with safety stands. Refer to Lifting and Jacking the Vehicle in General Information.
  2. Remove the oil pan drain plug and drain the engine oil in a suitable container.
    Object Number: 188050  Size: SH

3. Remove the engine oil filter.
  4. Inspect to ensure the engine oil filter gasket is removed.

Installation Procedure

Object Number: 188050  Size: SH

1. Lubricate the engine oil filter gasket with clean engine oil.
  2. Install the engine oil filter.
  3. Follow the tightening instructions on the oil filter.
    Object Number: 188048  Size: SH

Notice: Use the correct fastener in the correct location. Replacement fasteners must be the correct part number for that application. Fasteners requiring replacement or fasteners requiring the use of thread locking compound or sealant are identified in the service procedure. Do not use paints, lubricants, or corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or fastener joint surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect fastener torque and joint clamping force and may damage the fastener. Use the correct tightening sequence and specifications when installing fasteners in order to avoid damage to parts and systems.

4. Install the drain plug to the oil pan.

Tighten
    Tighten the oil pan plug to 25 N·m (18 lb ft).

5. Remove the safety stands and lower the vehicle.
  6. Fill the engine with the proper capacity and quality of engine oil.

-
    Refer to Capacities - Approximate Fluid in Maintenance and Lubrication.

-
    Refer to Explanation of Scheduled Services in Maintenance and Lubrication.

7. Operate the engine, check for leaks and oil pressure.
  8. Check the oil level and add as required.