Davo
Davo, Master technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician also L1 Advanced Engine Performance Specialist
112340

2007 chevy tahoe: by pass the safty feature

Customer Question

how to by pass the safty feature on the dvd and navigation from a 2007 chevy tahoe
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Davo replied 8 years ago.
What do you want to do watch dvds on the navigation screen?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Davo/diablo666's Post: yes i want to be able to watch dvds on the navigations screen. as it is right now i can watch a dvd on the navigation screen but as soon as i but the truck into drive it shuts off leaving only the rear dvd working. i want to make both screens work all the time.
thank you for your help.
Expert:  Davo replied 8 years ago.
There is only one way I can think of and it won't be cheap.There is no low cost way to do this.These are all small computers tied together on a serial data line and need to communicate with one another for it to work.If you are up for it and have the money I can tell you what will work.It will be expensive so know that going in.I'm talking thousands of dollars.Please remember I'm just the messenger and I didn't cause the problem you have.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Davo/diablo666's Post: i appreciate your answer but this is not a solution costing thousands of dollars is no help. i could buy a whole new dvd system for a lot less then that. there has to be another way to by-pass that.
Expert:  Davo replied 8 years ago.
Safety systems are not easy to bypass.There is inherent liability with the dvd playing while you drive.GM doesn't want to open that door that's why it turns off the dvd up front when you move the lever out of park.Do you feel you can drive and watch a movie safely?If you do let me know where you live so I can watch out for you so I don't get killed during Jurassic Park or something.I personally feel cell phones shouldn't be able to work near an engine that is running.So watching a movie would be worse to me.I offered to help you bypass the system but the price appears to be out of your range so I suggest you buy an add on dvd player or drop the issue all together.I saw someone reading as book while driving for some reason it seemed like the car was on it's own.There is no budget way to defeat the safety protocol built into the system,that is for the above stated reason.A pcm, harness and trans switch would be required to "cheat" the system and have it still work.That would be over $1500 and doesn't include programming the pcm.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Davo/diablo666's Post: you know what, your hear to answer the question not be a police officer leave the police work up to me, thats what I do. If you can't answer the question then just say you dont have an answer for me instead of being smart about it. And to answer your question any way its not for me to watch while I'm driving its for my wife to watch when we travel.