Chevy man
Chevy man, Chevy Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified as an L1 Master Technician with extensive experience in Chevy products

Where is the neutral safety switch on a 1989 Chevy ...

Customer Question

Where is the neutral safety switch on a 1989 Chevy Camaro?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Chevy man replied 8 years ago.

REPLACEMENT & ADJUSTMENT

See Figure 1

1. Remove the console trim from the console.

2. Disconnect the electrical connector from the switch.

3. Remove the 2 attaching screws from the switch and remove the switch.

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 1: Neutral start/back-up light switch

1. To install a new switch:

1. Place the switch onto the transmission control shifter and loosely install the attaching screws. Position the transmission control shifter assembly in the N notch in the detent plate.

2. Assemble the switch to the transmission control shifter assembly by inserting the carrier tang into the hole in the shifter lever.

3. Install the attaching screws and tighten.

4. Move the transmission control shifter assembly out of N position. This will shear the switch internal plastic pin.

2. To install the original switch:

2. Rotate the switch on the shifter assembly to align the service adjustment hole with the carrier tang hole. Insert a 3/32 in. (2.38mm) diameter gauge pin to a depth of 9/16 in. (15mm) and tighten attaching screws.

3. Remove the gauge pin.

3. Connect the electrical connector to the switch.

4. Install the console trim to the console.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Chevy man's Post: didn't help me. i need to know where the neutral safety switch is on a 1989 chevy camaro V6 5 Speed
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Chevy man's Post: can i get exact details on how to locate it. i don't understand this. could u call me or something?
Expert:  32roadster replied 8 years ago.

The safety neutral switch is located in the front seating area, on the driver side, under the dash, above the clutch pedal, mounted on the pedal support bracket.

If you want to know what it looks like, go to autozone and ask them to let you look at it. Though, I am assuming that you already have this at hand and already know what it looks like.

Expert:  Chevy man replied 8 years ago.

NO, that's incorrect. In this vehicle the Neutral switch in located in the console as shown in the first set of instruction.

Here's another picture and a different set of instructions.

It's #817 in the image.

1. Disconnect batter ground cable.
  2. Remove floor console cover, then disconnect electrical connectors from switch.
  3. Place shift lever in Neutral position of detent plate, then remove switch attaching screws and switch, Fig. 12.
  4. To install, ensure the shift lever is in Neutral, then position switch on shift lever making sure pin on shaft is in slot of switch.
  5. If reinstalling existing switch, rotate switch to align service adjustment hole with carrier tang hole. Insert a 3/32 inch gauge pin and rotate switch until pin drops in to a depth of 19/32 inch. Torque switch attaching nut to 18 inch lbs., then remove gauge pin.
  6. If installing a new switch, torque attaching nuts to 18 inch lbs., then move shift lever out of Neutral to shear pin which is part of new switch.
  7. Reconnect electrical connectors to switch, then apply parking brake and start engine. Check back-up lights and seat belt warning system for proper operation and ensure engine will start only in Park or Neutral.
  8. Turn ignition off and install floor console.

You just proved me right. What you are showing is an automatic transmission and its the same picture as the first post(pretty much). He has a manual transmission.

Expert:  Chevy man replied 8 years ago.

Let me explain something to everybody.

Neutral safety switches are used on automatic transmissions only!!!!!!!

Manual transmissions use a clutch switch. I assumed all "mechanics" would know that.

Yes, I do know that. But since he mentioned that it is a manual transmission, I automatically starting thinking of where it was, rather then what the proper name is.

Expert:  Chevy man replied 8 years ago.

To the customer

If it's truly a clutch switch that your looking for instead of a neutral switch, it's mounted to a bracket on the pedal cluster near the floorboard.

1. Disconnect battery ground cable.
  2. Disconnect wire connector at switch.
  3. Remove retaining nut, if so equipped and unscrew switch from bracket.
  4. To install, depress clutch pedal, then insert and push switch into clip until shoulder bottoms out.
  5. Plug connector on switch and check for proper operation.

Thats exactly what I just said. You just provided a picture to my instructions.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Chevy man's Post: let me try this and i will let u know. if it works i will pay.
Expert:  Chevy man replied 8 years ago.

I don't know what you mean by "if it works".

You asked for the location of something that didn't exist. I've given you what I have to assume your looking for.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Chevy man's Post: i'm not going to pay u cause i was asking for it on a manual and the other guy helped me not u. so i will pay him.
Expert:  Chevy man replied 8 years ago.

You were asking for something that didn't exist

Here is your questionn the way it was orifinally asked

Quote:

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Chevy man's Post: i know that. i know what i asked. but with u being ASE certified with experience in chevy products you should have been able to figure out what i meant. i am no mechanic. i will say that but just cause i confused theclutch safety with the neutral safety doesn't mean u can't figure it out.
Expert:  Chevy man replied 8 years ago.

Sir, I would have no reason to question what you asked. A neutral safety switch is a very common part, but only on an automatic transmission. You never said it was a standard in your first question. What you were actually looking for was something entirely different. Certified or not, we can't know what's going through someone else mind.

I did give you a picture and everything once I figured out what you were looking for.