Davo
Davo, Master technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician also L1 Advanced Engine Performance Specialist
112340

how to install a shift cable in 97 chevy cavalier with a ...

Customer Question

how to install a shift cable in 97 chevy cavalier with a automatic transmission
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Davo replied 8 years ago.

Shift Control Replacement

Removal Procedure

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable. Refer to

Caution: Before servicing any electrical component, the ignition key must be in the OFF or LOCK position and all electrical loads must be OFF, unless instructed otherwise in these procedures. If a tool or equipment could easily come in contact with a live exposed electrical terminal, also disconnect the negative battery cable. Failure to follow these precautions may cause personal injury and/or damage to the vehicle or its components.

in General Information.
    Object Number: 104474  Size: SH
    Click here for detailed picture of above image.

2. Remove the automatic transmission range select lever cable from the selector lever.
    Object Number: 104478  Size: SH

3. Remove the range select lever cable from the cable bracket.
  4. Remove the center console.
    Object Number: 104480  Size: SH

5. Remove the range select lever cable from the automatic transmission control.
  6. Remove the cable grommet at the cowl.
  7. Remove the cable from the vehicle.

Installation Procedure

1. Install the cable to the vehicle through the cowl and the carpet.
  2. Install the cable grommet in the cowl.
  3. Install the cable grommet bolts in the cowl.

Tighten
    Tighten the bolts to 1.9 N·m (17 lb in).

Notice: Use the correct fastener in the correct location. Replacement fasteners must be the correct part number for that application. Fasteners requiring replacement or fasteners requiring the use of thread locking compound or sealant are identified in the service procedure. Do not use paints, lubricants, or corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or fastener joint surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect fastener torque and joint clamping force and may damage the fastener. Use the correct tightening sequence and specifications when installing fasteners in order to avoid damage to parts and systems.

Object Number: 104480  Size: SH

4. Install the range select lever cable at the automatic transmission control.
  5. Install the center console.
    Object Number: 104478  Size: SH

6. Install the range select lever cable to the cable bracket.
    Object Number: 104474  Size: SH

7. Install the range select lever cable to the selector lever.
  8. Connect the negative battery cable.
  9. Adjust the cable.

1. Place the shift lever in N (Neutral). Rotate the selector shaft clockwise from P (Park) through R (Reverse) into N (Neutral).
    2. Place the shift control assembly in N (Neutral).
    3. Push the tab on the cable adjuster in order to adjust the cable in the cable mounting bracket.