toby wood
toby wood, mechanic
Experience:  10 years building custom frame off restoration cars and race cars ASE certified

2000 chevy cavalier: alternator is good the lights turn..even turn

My 2000 chevy cavalier at times does not start. The battery has been changed, alternator is good the lights turn on the gadges go up but at times you turn the key and here nothing it does not even turn over.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  toby wood replied 8 years ago.
is your car manual or automatic?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to toby wood's Post: automatic. I think it is the kill switch. For the last year I did not have to push the signal to disarm the alarm and the little blinking light was not turning on and now at times it does and the last time the car started I had to push the signal
Expert:  toby wood replied 8 years ago.
that sounds like it could be it what kind of alarm is it? also will the car start if you are in neurtral instaid of park?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to toby wood's Post: I do not know what kind of alarm that it is. It is the one that came with the car when I bought it. It is a 2001 chevy and no it does not start when I put in neutral but all the lights and gadges come on and the radio and the horn.
Expert:  Michael replied 8 years ago.

HelloCustomer here is the reprogram procedure for the alarm.Try it and let me know if it works.

Try this procedure if it doesn't work you will need to have the codes read with a GM scan tool caalled a Tech 2.Before you do the procedure remove both battery cables and hold them together for 30 seconds and have a friend hold the brake pedal down while you are doing it.Reconnect the battery cables and perform the procedure.Hooking up a backup battery or another car running to keep your battery charged would be a good idea during the procedure since it will take 30 minutes or more.
Use this procedure after replacing the following components:

The Battery

The passkey III (PK3) keys
The theft deterrent control module
The PCM, see important above

Important
This procedure is not available on vehicles equipped with option code (Z49 or BAE).

If replacing a theft deterrent control module with an GM SPO Replacement Part, perform the procedure to setup a new theft deterrent control module prior to the 30-minute relearn procedure.

With a master passkey III key (Black), turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
Observe the Security light, after approximately 10 minutes the light will turn off.
Turn OFF the ignition, and wait 5 seconds.
Repeat steps 1-3 two more times for a total of 3 cycles or 30 minutes.

Important
The vehicle learns the key transponder information and/or passwords on the ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK. You must turn the ignition OFF before attempting to start the vehicle.

With a master passkey III key, start the vehicle. The vehicle has now learned the key transponder information and the PCM has now learned the fuel continue password.
With a scan tool, clear any DTCs.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Michael's Post: are you in Houston
Expert:  Michael replied 8 years ago.
No,NJ. remember...Let me know if this won't work.We may need to look at some other things for this issue.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Michael's Post: ok I'm gonna accept your next reply but if possilbe can you give me you email address so I can email you if this does not work. You have been extremely helpful and I greatly appreciate it. I'm gonna take you suggestions to someone that has that key thing that your talking about. I wish I could do it myself but I do not know what the heck your talking about on the last reply.
thank you again
Expert:  toby wood replied 8 years ago.
Customer from what you said before about the red blinking light you have an aftermarket alarm in the car and the factory system is not causing this the factory system say "security" in yellow on the dash (the factory security system includes a fuel pump kill switch which means your car will crank but not start)

an alarm system will have a box installed under the dash near the fuse panel and you should see smoe orignal wires that were cut and re routed through this box (only the one if its just an alarm, more if it also works your power locks) the wire to the starter is the thickest one, if you cant find it take it to a sterio and alarm shop and they can remove, replace, or repair it whatever you want.but without knowing the brand of the alarm i cant be more detailed.

toby wood, mechanic
Experience: 10 years building custom frame off restoration cars and race cars ASE certified
Expert:  Michael replied 8 years ago.
Hello againCustomerI sent you a PM.Just sign in and click on the PM (private message)link to read it.
Expert:  toby wood replied 8 years ago.
ive worked for over 10 year with alarm systems and the problem you are having cannot be related to anything that chevrolet installed on the car, also I own a caveleir z24 and my security system says "security" on the dash near the gagues. I have also owned several gm cars and none of them came factory with a starter kill only fuel cut off with the security systems. regardless if it is the factory system causing this you do not need to replace anything just have a chevy dealer reprogram your pcm/ecm (the cars computer) it will cost between 60 and 120 $$.