32roadster
32roadster, Automotive Mechanic
Experience:  Automotive Service Technician

1990 geo storm..timing belt broke..shade tree mecanic..send a diagram

Customer Question

I have a 1990 geo storm,The timing belt broke.I need to know how to set the timing. I couident find a book for it any where.I have been a shade tree mecanic for several years.Can you tell em how to set it or send a diagram Please? thank you ...
Category: Chevy
Expert:  32roadster replied 8 years ago.

1. Disconnect the battery negative cable.

2. Remove the timing belt cover. If necessary, raise and support the vehicle, then remove the right under cover to access the lower timing cover bolts.

3. If not done already, rotate the crankshaft so that the No. 4 cylinder is at TDC on its compression stroke by aligning the camshaft pulley timing mark to the 9 o'clock position.

4. Raise and support the vehicle safely.

5. Remove the crankshaft pulley center bolt, the 4 crankshaft pulley side bolts and the crankshaft pulley from the vehicle.

6. Loosen the belt tension pulley bolt, then remove the timing belt from around the tensioner and other pulleys. Remove the timing belt from the vehicle.

To install:

1. Make sure the crankshaft pulley keyway and groove is aligned with the oil pump timing mark and the camshaft pulley timing mark is in the 9 o'clock position. Install the timing belt around the crankshaft timing pulley, followed by the tensioner pulley, water pump pulley and the camshaft timing pulley.

2. Tighten the belt tensioner retaining bolt. Make sure that the belt is properly tightened and is aligned evenly around all the pulleys:

1. Turn the crankshaft 2 complete revolutions and realign the crankshaft timing gear groove with the mark on the oil pump.

2. Loosen the tension pulley bolt and apply tension to the belt using an Allen wrench in the hexagonal pulley hole. Torque the pulley bolt to 37 ft. lbs. (50 Nm) while holding the pulley stationary.

3. Check the timing belt tension/deflection using a belt tension gauge. The belt should deflect 0.63-0.79 in. (16-20mm) when 22 lbs. (98 N) of pressure is applied to the center of the longest belt stretch.

3. Check that the camshaft is still aligned to the 9 o'clock position.

4. Install the timing belt cover, secure it with the 2 lower mounting bolts, then torque the bolts to 89 in. lbs. (10 Nm).

5. Install the crankshaft pulley to the crankshaft dampener, secure the center bolt and the 4 side bolts. Torque the center bolt to 87 ft. lbs. (118 Nm) and the 4 side bolts to 17 ft. lbs. (23 Nm).

6. If removed, install the right side under cover.

7. Lower the vehicle. Install the 4 upper timing belt cover retaining bolts and tighten to 89 inch lbs. (10 Nm).

8. Install the right engine mount.

9. Install the power steering pump drive belt and alternator drive belt. Adjust them to the proper belt tension.

10. Remove engine support fixture and reconnect the negative battery cable.

DOHC ENGINE

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.

2. Install engine support fixture tool J-28467-A or equivalent.

3. Remove the right engine mount.

4. Remove the power steering belt and alternator belt or the serpentine drive belt, as applicable.

5. Remove the upper timing belt cover. If applicable, remove the retaining bolt and relocate the wiring harness from the timing cover.

6. Raise and safely support the vehicle. Remove the right splash shield.

7. Align the crankshaft pulley to TDC, then remove the crankshaft pulley center bolt while holding the pulley from turning. Remove the pulley from the engine.

It will be necessary to lower the engine using the support fixture for access to remove the crankshaft pulley.

1. Lower the vehicle.

2. Remove the lower timing belt cover.

3. Loosen the tensioner pulley retaining bolt 1/2 turn and remove the timing belt.

To install:

1. Make sure the camshaft pulleys' timing marks are properly aligned.

2. Install the timing belt to the engine beginning with the crankshaft timing pulley and moving counterclockwise around the pulleys (water pump, idler, exhaust camshaft, intake camshaft) to the tensioner pulley.

3. Install the timing belt tensioner and torque the retaining bolt to 31 ft. lbs. (42 Nm).

4. Rotate the crankshaft 2 turns to ensure that the crankshaft timing pulley mark and the camshaft timing pulley marks are correctly aligned.

5. Install the lower timing belt cover.

6. Raise and safely support the vehicle.

7. Install the crankshaft pulley and torque the center pulley bolt to 87 ft. lbs. (118 Nm). Using the engine support, raise the engine back into position.

8. Lower the vehicle and install the upper timing cover.

9. Install the alternator and power steering belt, then adjust the belts to the proper belt tension or install the serpentine drive belt.

10. Install the right engine mount.

11. Remove the engine support fixture tool. Reconnect the negative battery cable.

The camshaft pulleys' timing marks must be properly aligned before the timing belt is installed - DOHC engines

Timing belt installation order - DOHC engines