Richard, Technician
Experience:  Cell / Smart phone problem solver for over 15 years
32989067

I have been getting a message on my phone to "upgrade

Customer Question

I have been getting a message on my phone to "upgrade carrier settings" I had ignored it for several days, but finally clicked on it this morning. There was no further prompt. Several hours later I got a friend who said she had received a call with my number. When she answered it was a call from a " student loan" program. Is there any thing I can do?
JA: Just to clarify, what's the exact make and model of your machine?
Customer: I phone 6splus
JA: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: It just happened this morning and I haven't done anything but contact you.
JA: Anything else you want the phone expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not that I can think of
Submitted: 6 days ago.
Category: Cell Phones
Expert:  Richard replied 6 days ago.

Hi there and welcome

The upgrade carrier settings is normal, it is not something sinister that occurred on the phone. At times the carrier changes their network settings and the phone needs to update this.

The call from your number is ***** a company that spoofed your phone number (faked it), it is easy to do for companies, and they do this regularly.

When you update the carrier details I would advise you to restart the phone. The way to do this is to hold the power and home buttons for about 10 seconds until you see the apple logo then release, then let the phone restart.

But this call your friend received was not related to updating your carrier settings. Having an iPhone allows you to be protected from these sorts of malware.