derrickonline
derrickonline, Information Technology Manager
Experience:  15 years of information technology experience, including mobile computing devices.
22792886

I cannot download MMS pictures or videos, HTC desire 610

Customer Question

I cannot download MMS pictures or videos
JA: What's the make/model of your device? How old is it?
Customer: HTC desire 610 it's about two years old
JA: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: I think it has been about 6 months or so. I tried looking for solutions in the owners manual and various videos on You Tube
JA: Anything else you want the phone expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: NOt that I can think of
Category: Cell Phones
Expert:  derrickonline replied 3 months ago.

I'd be more than happy to assist you. Who is your cell phone provider? Did you purchase the device unlocked?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
My provider is Tracfone (safelink) Yes it was unlocked.

OK thank you, standby.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
ok

I'll need your cell phone number please.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.

OK follow the steps below. And once you've gotten to the end, let me know and I'll give the settings to type in.

1. Press "Menu."
  2. Select "Settings."
  3. Select "Wireless and Networks", and then confirm that "Airplane mode" is unchecked.
  4. Select "Mobile Networks," and then confirm that "Data Enabled" is checked.
  5. To select an Access Point Name, please follow the next steps (Note: T-Mobile US APN cannot be edited or delete):
  6. Press "Menu."
  7. Select "New APN."

Enter the following:

APN

RESELLER

AUTH_TYPE

None

MMSC

http://mmsc.mobile.att.net

MMS PROXY

proxy.mobile.att.net

MMS PORT

80

MMS_APN_TYPE

default,mms,supl

1. Press "Menu."
  2. Select "Save."
  3. Make sure the green radio button is directly to the right of the APN Settings Name Data MMS.
  4. Reboot your phone.
  5. Your Internet and MMS are now configured!

Let me know if you need additional assistance by replying, otherwise if this resolves your issue please be sure to rate my answer. Thank you. I'm still here by the way.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I think I have it although my setting read a little different. I am on APN however Should I erase the items that are already in those blocks and enter the ones you gave me?

Yes you should. Use the information I provided.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
ok I will try it

Be sure to save the settings once you've typed them in by going to MENU, then SAVE and making sure the green radio button is directly to the right of the one APN setting. That's key otherwise it won't retain the settings. I suggest upon reboot you go back and verify your settings took. Once completed I'm happy to send you an MMS message if you like as a test.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I entered the information but I don't have a menu and save button. Or any green button that I can see

The menu button is the 3-dot icon. Do you see that?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
no

Usually in the top right of the program 3 vertical dots like this: <screenshot>

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I found it

Perfect, then save...then reboot the phone, verify the settings again stuck. Then let me know and I will send you an MMS is if you like

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
ok everything is still on there except where I entered the proxy it changed to a number
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I'm sorry I was looking at the wrong thing. Everything is as I entered it.

It's very important that MMS proxy be set to proxy.mobile.att.net. What number do it change to?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
it's on there

Just sent you a test picture message

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I haven't received anything other than our correspondence but it may take a little bit. Unless you want to send it again.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I got it so I will try to download it

Great!

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
It says its downloading but it hasn't completed yet

Safelink if I'm not mistaken is some sort of Government subsidized phone, I suspect they're not getting high-speed 4G data from AT&T who is the data provider at the end of the day. Safelink has a contract with TracFone who uses AT&T for data and likely cell. They probably have you all on the slowest Internet possible. So I can assure you the MMS experience won't be good. But it will at least work albeit very slowly.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Ok thank you for that information. I will continue to try and download. If it doesn't work Maybe I'll have to cancel my safelink account. I seems like that is when I started have those problems so you are probably correct. I'll have to make a decision here but for right now I have an appointment to keep and will have to end. Will the stings I entered hurt or interfere with anything?

No the setting will not interfere with anything. Listen, if you're looking for a cheap monthly cell phone bill with better service (i.e. highspeed Internet, etc). Check out Ting, RingPlus, and ProjectFi. I think you'll find they offer a much better class of service for cheap. Ringplus has a Mad Scientist plan for $16-$18/month and I think you get unlimited minutes and 1GB of high speed data. Just some things to check out.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I'm not sure if those services will work where I am but I will check them out. Thank you very much for your time and effort. This was very helpful.

Ting and RingPlus use Sprint. ProjectFi uses Spring & T-Mobile. FYI.