Samuel White
Samuel White, Cell Phone Technician
Experience:  Verizon Tech Manager multi-unit
95461549

My cell battery was low and the screen went totally black.

Customer Question

My cell battery was low and the screen went totally black. It has a new battery and I charged it over night. I tried all the various recommendations to get it working with no luck. I can hear people sending me messages, there are white lights on the bottom of phone that's it. I fear I may have to buy a new phone.
JA: Just to clarify, what's the exact make and model of your machine?
Customer: Samsung 3
JA: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Hasn't worked since last night. I sent a Facebook message to someone and the phone shut down. I tried removing battery and waiting 10 minutes. Took the SM card out, reinserted. Simutaneously held down the volume, power and home button and nothing. I've charged it, put in a new battery, nothing works.
JA: Anything else you want the phone expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Nothing
Category: Cell Phones
Expert:  Samuel White replied 8 months ago.

Hello I am Samuel and I want to help.

Noreen can you try Volume up home and power please?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I've already done that, it didn't work, just tried again, screens still black.

You have to pull the battery to be sure the phone is powered down. Then hold the buttons down please. Tell me what happens when you do this. Based on what you have said the phone should have a reaction if you do it correctly.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
My boyfirned did that this morning and it still didn't work. I can try it again if you'd like.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I repeated this step just now, would you like me to reinsert the battery and attempt to charge it again?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
The screen is still black since following the step you suggested. I haven't put the battery back in yet.

Ok reinsert the battery and try the button combo please. It is the key to not having to get a new phone so if I were you I would do it a few times.

The steps are:

Remove battery

Replace battery

Hold vol up, home and power

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I did as you asked and could only feel a slight vibration but the screens still black.

Great that's what I needed to know. If you get the vibration and the screen Still Remains black then the screen is faulty and needs to be replaced unfortunately.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I might as well get a new phone then,

Honestly if I were you I would not invest in a repair I would get a new phone.

Noreen is there anything else I can help you with?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Any recomendations as to which Samsung Galaxy phone I should purchase? I have Galaxy 3. Alot of people have blogged about getting a black screen with Samsungs. Also if I get a new phone that's not a Galaxy 3 would it be compatible with my SM card?

It depends on what phone you get whether the SIM card will work with it or not. In my experience every phone manufacturer has black screen problems. Of those LG would be the biggest culprit. Me personally I'm a fan of the Samsungs. My suggestion would probably be a Samsung S6. They're strong and fast with of nice looking screen but not a whole lot of problems.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thank you. Do you think my current SM card would be compatible with the Samsung S6 ?

I believe that one is a different size SIM card. But if you are buying the phone do they come with the appropriate size SIM card in it

Kindly rate my service 5 stars at the top of your question page if my answer helped so I am rewarded for my time; tips appreciated :)
Otherwise please reply back if you need further assistance. Thank you, Samuel

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I have pictures etc. stored on the SM that I can't replace. Do you know of another phone that would be compatible with the Samsung 3? If not, I fear I will have to buy another one.

I am glad you mentioned that. The card that you're talking about is the black memory card not the SIM card. The newest Samsung you can purchase that allows for a memory card is the Samsung Galaxy S5

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
THANK YOU FOR YOUR ASSISTANCE TODAY, YOU'VE ANSWERED ALL MY QUESTIONS.

It was my pleasure!

Is there any other help you need? If not please rate so I can close this request! Thanks so much!

Expert:  Samuel White replied 7 months ago.