Nathan, Customer Service
Experience:  Expert with smartphones, iphone
59725966

Story but I'm testifying against my ex brother in law over

Customer Question

Long story but I'm testifying against my ex brother in law over getting custody of my niece. Somehow he got hold of my old iPhone 5c. It didn't work and wouldn't even turn on but he thinks he is a computer pro. He has threatened me saying if I testify against him he will ruin me. Says all he has to do is connect my old 5c to computer and can pull up all my messages, emails, ect and pull them off the hard drive. But even if he got the phone to turn on, he doesn't know my password ***** unlock screen of my Apple ID or password. My ? is ...... Can he hook it up to his computer even if it won't come on and pull all my stuff off hard drive??
Category: Cell Phones
Expert:  Nathan replied 4 months ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

If the phone will not power on/start up, there is really nothing that can be extracted from it.

Even if he could, without a password, it would be extremely limited to what he could do - in some cases, if you had a very old software version (unlikely on a model 5c) he *may* be able to access some of the photos, but even that is unlikely. Accessing messages and other content without a password ***** ***** impossible.

His threats have no merit, and (check with an attorney) you may want to mention this to the court as well that he is attempting to blackmail or coerce you. If you are really worried, you could always file a police report for stolen property, if you have any way to prove ownership of the phone and get it back from him.

Best regards,

Expert:  Nathan replied 4 months ago.

Do you need more help with this, Meg?