Pete, Electronic Engineer
Experience:  Over 16 years of experience installing and repairing electronics.

My friend has been waiting three days to help restore her

Customer Question

My friend has been waiting three days for Apple to help restore her phone from iCloud backup. She has been on the phone with three times with three or more different reps. Each one seems surprised that the previous restore attempt has not completed. The last one today says he's never seen anything like this. Apple seems confused as to why this restore from backup isn't working. Her PC was hacked through yahoo mail and the attacker is still present, controlling many functions and settings of the PC. The iPhone 6s did some strange things before
JA: How old is the phone?
Customer: ....shipping down. The hacker has changed her Apple ID pass word.
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Will a new iPhone be secure or not because of the hack?
JA: The phone expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: Just restoring from iCloud backup with the oversight of apple tech help. The phone was shut down and somehow the hacker changed the security code.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Cell Phone Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cell Phones
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
What could be so severe that Apple help can't figure it out? A world class professional hack of PC and iPhone?
Is it correct to assume that purchasing a new iPhone, restoring from iCloud backup and then using same phone number and same yahoo mail account will result in same compromised iPhone?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Pete replied 3 months ago.

Hi there

Expert:  Pete replied 3 months ago.

It depends what type of attack it was - if the hacker still has control of the computer then they could be repeatedly changing her password ***** every time she recovers the account.

The infected computer will need to be dealt with first to ensure the hacker and any associated virus or malware is removed from it first, then concentrate on recovering any files, accounts, etc afterwards.

Kindly rate my service 5 stars at the top of your question page if my answer is helpful so I am rewarded for my time; tips greatly appreciated :)
Alternatively, please reply back if you need further assistance.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Will a new iPhone be safe since the current issues with the Apple iPhone restore process seem to be related to the PC hack?
Can the existing yahoo mail username be used for a new account in the new phone since the hacker appears to still be in control?
Since her Apple ID password ***** changed by the hacker, he would have had access to the iCloud and iTunes backup files to corrupt them. Is this possibly the reason for the current situation with Apple being unable to restore the phone?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Expert:  Pete replied 3 months ago.

A new iPhone will be safe unless it is connected to a compromised account.

The existing Yahoo email username cannot be used for a new account if it is already in use with another account.

Access to the backups could indeed be the reason why Apple are unable to restore the phone.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thank you for confirmation. The owner is a court reporter and this is her work computer. The PC is going to a forensic expert ASAP at her attorney's request. There is reason to believe the hack may have been for the purpose of stealing documents, although the nature of it all seems more like the work of one wanting to harass. At one point while she was working in court they had the candy crush game on the screen. It would seem that a targeted hack to steal data would be to get in and get out quickly.
The attorney is hoping the three different unknown ip addresses recorded by the yahoo mail login alerts will enable a successful trace. Those have now been removed from the recent activity screen but hopefully still available either from yahoo or in the pc's log.
Do you agree with this strategy? Am I overlooking anything?
She desperately needs her iPhone functional and a functional email acct also. The big question for me is just how to "firewall" all associations between the current phone and PC and the new ones. She is contacting the court reporting software company to see if they offer an apple version and to get guidance in copying the related data files and program files to be installed on a new PC or Apple.
I know an iPhone is more resistant that android but I'm not full aware of how to advise her to proceed in setting up new phone.
Shouldn't iMessage texts be safe? SMS texts? Emails to a new email account name as long as no attachments are opened?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Also, I'm wondering if other apps/accounts she routinely uses such as face book and snap chat are safe to access from the new iPhone?
Is there a way to verify the integrity and safety of the iCloud and/or iTunes backups before they are used to restore the new iPhone?
They contain essential contacts. Maybe the contacts could be accessed and saved via the iCloud website, assuming that feature is enabled? There are also important texts stored in the corrupt iPhone. Are they accessible?
Expert:  Pete replied 3 months ago.

This is probably the best strategy to take, however it is possible for hackers to hide their IP address or use proxy servers to bounce their connection around the world, making it extremely difficult to trace them.

The safest way to firewall all associations is to set up a completely new account on a new phone and PC, otherwise there is no 100% guarantee that they will be safe from further attack.

iMessage texts should indeed be safe, but again nothing is 100% safe in cyberspace as there will always be unknown vulnerabilities, however Apple have a great track record in patching up vulnerabilities as soon as possible after they are discovered.

Emails to a new account can STILL compromise a system if they contain malicious code, even if you don't open the attachment - that is how sophisticated hacking has become. But again, Apple software is the most resistance to these attacks.

Expert:  Pete replied 3 months ago.

Facebook is one of the most common ways for an attacker to gain access to a system - it is full of spam messages containing threats. I would suggest keeping two phones - one for work use and one for personal and facebook use.

There isn't any way to verify the integrity and safety of the iCloud or iTunes backups before they are used.

I would suggest using another device to extract the contact information, scan it for threats, then transfer it to the new iPhone to help contain any threat.

Any text messages stored on the corrupt iPhone should still be accessible if you can turn on the phone.

Expert:  Pete replied 3 months ago.

Hi, just checking in on your question. How did things turn out for you?