Steve G., Electronics Engineer
Experience:  25 years of component level electronic repair.
329447

I am trying to find out why my husbands number shows as

Customer Question

Hi I am trying to find out why my husbands number shows as an incoming call instead of my number every time I call him. It shows my number when he calls me. There are other calls that show incoming to his number on his AT&T bill that are not me but 90% of incoming calls show his number and they are not private or blocked numbers
Category: Cell Phones
Expert:  Steve G. replied 7 months ago.
Hello there and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today. I am an engineer with over 30 years of electrical and electronic training, repair and installation experience. I will try and answer your question accurately and precisely so that we can get you on your way. Now..is this an iPhone or an Android?Also, are you using Facebook on your phone?Let me know.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Iphone6. I have a Facebook account but don't have the app installed or look at it very oftem
Expert:  Steve G. replied 7 months ago.
Ok, take a look in the contacts on your iPhone. Are the correct number or numbers listed for you and your husband?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Yes, like I said when he calls me my number shows as an outgoing call but when I call him it shows as an incoming call to his number not mine. There are other incoming calls to his number that are not from me as well. This just started in January. Prior to that I know he was hiding a phone or pager in the garage.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Sorry it shows as an outgoing call to his number not an incoming call from my number
Expert:  Steve G. replied 7 months ago.
Ok, I'm slightly confused. Are you seeing this number on your phone or on the bill?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
On his phone bill if he calls me it shows my number but if I call him it shows as an outgoing call to his number. It should show an incoming call from me but it doesn't. This happens a lot on his bill. Calls outgoing with his number and they are not blocked or private. I know my number isn't since I have seen my contact on his phone and it does show it when he calls me
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Are you still there?
Expert:  Steve G. replied 7 months ago.
Yes I'm here. It sounds like he is using Google Voice to possible disguise his phone activity. Would that be something he would do? Google Voice is a second phone number that he can give to people so that they can call him without knowing his real number, it can also be used for texts etc.Let me research a little more. Hold on please.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
That is what I am thinking as well but don't know how to find out if he is? Is there a way to look on his phone and find out?
Expert:  Steve G. replied 7 months ago.
Not without actually looking at his phone. Do you have access to it?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Yes I can get access to it. Just not right this minute. But if I can get it now what would I do
Expert:  Steve G. replied 7 months ago.
Also, if you call him, what number shows up ON HIS ACTUAL PHONE SCREEN? Find that out and let me know. We can go from there.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I know his recent calls shows me but not sure what actually shows up on his screen but I believe it shows my name
Expert:  Steve G. replied 7 months ago.
Also, look for the Google Voice app. Search for it using the iPhones search screen.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I have looked at his recent APP purchases but haven't seen that he bought it but he has at least 50 apps on his phone. Do you have to have the app to use it or do I look to see if he has his a number forwarded?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
When I call him does it go through a GV number first? That's why I show up as an outgoing call to his number
Expert:  Steve G. replied 7 months ago.
Look in HIS contacts (on his phone) for his own contact. Does everything in there look legit? Is his phone number the one he has always had or did he change it recently?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I have looked at his contacts but it looks legit and he has had the same cell number for 15 years. Now he does travel slot and obviously if I call him he is not home. But I am calling his cell and every time it shows as an outgoing call to his number. I have compared my recent calls to those outgoing calls to his number and they match up. There are some that are definitely not from me. He can call his son and it shows him calling his sons number.
Expert:  Steve G. replied 7 months ago.
Ok, I think the thing to do would be to have both phones in front of you and call his phone from yours and see what shows up on his screen.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Ok I can do that. Does he have to have theGV app on his phone to use a GV number?
Expert:  Steve G. replied 7 months ago.
Yes. GV needs to be on his phone as an app. Use the search by swiping the main screen to the right.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Ok I will. Can I keep this open and get back to you in a little whike
Expert:  Steve G. replied 7 months ago.
Sure. It stays open until you close it. Simply reply as you have been.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Ok great thank you
Expert:  Steve G. replied 7 months ago.
You are most welcome.I also saw some mention of calls showing as outgoing when the incoming number is ***** So definitely call his phone from yours when you have them both and see what shows on the screen.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Yeah I read that always but he wouldn't have my number blocked. Is there other options besides GV where you wouldn't have to have an app on your phone?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I called his phone and my contact name showed up
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Something else was under my name but I couldn't see what it was. Not sure if it was my number? Can't remember what shows on the screen when I get a call it its just the contact name or the number as well
Expert:  Steve G. replied 7 months ago.
Ok, I wonder what was underneath your name? No way of finding out??
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Yeah I can do it again he was just sitting there so I will try it and look closer. Thanks
Expert:  Steve G. replied 7 months ago.
Ok.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
What else can I look for or on settings to find out is he has another number whether it is GV or something else? When I get the opportunity to look I want to check as much as possible especially if I don't find the GV app. Now I know he can delete the app while he is home and add it back when he is gone. So any help would be appreciated.
Expert:  Steve G. replied 6 months ago.
Just look at his apps. There are several apps that give you a second number. 'Sideline' is one for example.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I looked at his apps and did the search but didn't find anything but Magic Jack App. I knew he had this since he travels where he doesn't have cell service. He told me he wasn't going to put it in his contact but I saw that he did. The app used to show recent calls now it doesn't . He had 7 voicemails but no recent or missed calls listed. These voicemails are a wrong number which has been happening for a while. If someone calls his magic jack number does he answer it in the app or since it is set up under his contact information will it just ring his cell phone. Can he call that number and somehow make calls without going straight to the app? I haven't been able to get much information by googling. Thanks