Russell H., Service Tech
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience
13568747

If you suspect there is spyware on your phone what would get

Customer Question

If you suspect there is spyware on your phone what would get rid of it? I recently has a Verizon rep take everything off my phone then reinstall. The rep thought that would take care of it. Thanks.
Category: Cell Phones
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I'm hoping that got rid of it.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 8 months ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question. If the phone has truly been wiped and then everything reinstalled, then there are only two possible sources of spyware or infection that you need to be guarded against at this point, hopefully:1. the things you reloaded... were any of them dubious programs, in the slightest, or from a dubious source?2. the things you may load on it in future, the same question needs be asked before installing anything: is it dubious in the least? or from a dubious source even if a non-dubious 'name' of software or app ? also, there's the consideration of how the operating system on your phone is. If it is Android OS, and before version 5.0.1, it might have security holes in it. If so, to test for such a security hole (the worst and most notorious of them anyway) use the following:
If your phone has the Android OS on it, then if that OS version is not sufficiently updated, then it may contain a significant 'security hole' that allows almost anyone to gain access and control over your phone. To test as to that security hole, download and use this app: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.zimperium.stagefrightdetector to tell whether there is such a security hole in your phone's Android operating system. To avoid the problem in the first place, not just using the Stagefright detector, but also completely updating your Android OS ab initio when you first start using it, is a good idea. (Some older versions of Android OS cannot be patched, by merely updating that version... but a higher version, if it can run on the older Android OS -compatible phone, can cure that problem.)
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
It's an I phone 6 does that help to know that? I don't recall uploading anything sketchy. I thought that someone I live with might've compromised the phone to see anything I'm texting etc.
If it's an iPhone, I confess that I don't have as much expertise on iDevices like an iPhone. There are, for sure, other security holes inhabiting the less-well-updated of iDevices running iOS.If you want, I can Opt Out in favor of a more Apple-oriented Expert... or else, I can continue to advise you. If I am to continue to advise you, I would ask next: What version of iOS is on your iPhone 6 ?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I'm not sure how I can tell. I know it's a 6. I got it in the past 9 months. I was thinking that someone might've loaded a program that is used to monitor teens but it could be something different.
Yes, it could be different.If you can name the programs it does have on it for certain, a brief list of their names, then I could check each one for 'monitoring function.' To tell the iOS version on it: Home screenSettingsGeneralAboutand the iOS version will be listed there. It will be called 'Version' of course.