Pete, Electronic Engineer
Experience:  Over 16 years of experience installing and repairing electronics.
30970729

Have 2 yr old LG E-960. Recently (last 3 mos) have had

Customer Question

Have 2 yr old LG E-960. Recently (last 3 mos) have had trouble with Bluetooth dropping out "Sorry, Bluetooth stopped working". did not have trouble for previous 1.5 years or so. Wife's also started to have this issue about the same time (Oct-Nov 2015). Was there an update that might have caused this? Thoughts on how to troubleshoot? We are using LG HBS730 headsets, which worked great up to the point the phones started crashing Bluetooth. Thoughts? Known issues/solutions?
Category: Cell Phones
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Hi Van,

Have you tried connecting to any other Bluetooth devices apart from the HBS730 headsets?

If you are having the same problem with other Bluetooth devices then the phone may have a hardware fault.

If the problem is only when you use the HBS730 headsets, then they may not be compatible with the latest Bluetooth updates on your phone.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Pete, do you know of recent updates to BT drivers/SW for LG E960 or Android 4.4?. Ad I said, both my wife and I began experiencing BT phone problems around the same time. We both have E960'a and have had flawless connections with our LG headphones until Nov-ish. I did try pairing another headset I used before the LG headset, got phone BT failure again. Do you really think two phones of similar vintage would develop the same HW problem within a couple of weeks of each other?. If so, as an expert, what have you heard?. Google didn't yield anything about endemic LG E960 HW issues, hence the request for your help. SW chgs recently? More detail?
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

No, there are no specific notices about any recent updates causing this problem, but updates do cause unknown problems from time to time.

It is odd that another headset would not pair either - did it pair ok previously? That would be the real test.

Bluetooth software is constantly changing and being updated, and it is a real battle to keep devices communicating smoothly over it.

The only other possibility is perhaps there is wireless interference from a nearby device that is causing the headset not to pair correctly with the phones.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I haven't been clear. The LG headset pairs and works (unless BT stops working immediately as happens sometimes) until BT chunks. When I turn off the headset and turn it back on it often re-connects and I can continue the conversation. Do not see rhyme or reason for BT to cut out. I also successfully paired with a Plantronics BT headset when BT on the phone works. It is the phone's BT that seems to stop intermittently. So you haven't heard of a flaw in LG E960 per se, but could be a HW issue (obviously). Rats. Was really hoping there was a SW change responsible that would eventually be fixed.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

No, there is no specific flaw that anyone has reported, so it is more likely to be a fault with the hardware itself, or possibly a flaw with the combination that you are using, and no-one else has reported yet.