Josh, Technician
Experience:  Cell phone expert
50836188

I have a Tracfone ZTE that has had a factory reset just done

Customer Question

I have a Tracfone ZTE that has had a factory reset just done on it. now it will no longer send or receive calls or texts. I have done the *22890 on it to try to "reactivate" it, but still it will not send or receive texts or calls. Tracfone says that the phone it self is now defective because of the factory reset. Is this the case, or is there something I can do to troubleshoot this issue?
Category: Cell Phones
Expert:  Josh replied 1 year ago.

Are you able to make phone calls without any issues? Also, what did Tracfone say?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I tried to make phone calls and no it will not connect to the wireless network. Tracfone says that the phone itself is defective now that I factory reset it.
Expert:  Josh replied 1 year ago.

I would suggest that you contact Tracfone again because it will need to be activated back on their network. I have never heard of a phone being "defective" after a factory reset and I have factory reset thousands of phones without any issues. The issue sounds like an activation problem with Tracfone and it is possible that you spoke to someone that was confused or unsure how to fix the issue.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I tried the *22890 which "reactivates" the phone to Tracfone, but they insist that the phone is defective because of the factory reset. I have called and talked to someone else, I got the same run a round. That is why I am here, because this just not sound right to me.
Expert:  Josh replied 1 year ago.

You're correct; it does not sound right at all but unfortunately, only Tracfone can activate it back on their network.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
is there a way to change the sim card, could that be the issue?
Expert:  Josh replied 1 year ago.

The issue is that the phone needs to be activated back on the Tracfone network which is something that Tracfone (and only Tracfone) can do for you. A factory reset will not damage or make a phone defective. The reset option will only make the phone back to factory as if you just purchased the phone.

I know that you have already called Tracfone and spoke to multiple employees there but the issue is with Tracfone. I would suggest that you call back again and ask to speak to a supervisor.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok, ill try again, if you hear of a problem like this or find something else out about this issue, please respond back to this question, I'd appreciate it. Thank you.
Expert:  Josh replied 1 year ago.

I will but in the years that I have been working on Tracfones, I have not heard of any other solution than having it fixed by Tracfone.

Please take a minute and use the rating system to rate our session as EXCELLENT, GOOD, or OK and press Submit so I am credited with helping you.

Expert:  Josh replied 1 year ago.

I have not heard back from you in a while -- If the issue is resolved, please rate our session as EXCELLENT, GOOD, or OK and press Submit so I am credited with helping you otherwise please reply back so we can continue with the issue.