Pete, Electronic Engineer
Experience:  Over 16 years of experience installing and repairing electronics.
30970729

My partner has had a couple of malicious text msgs sent to

Customer Question

Hi Steve my partner has had a couple of malicious text msgs sent to her phone and it's actually splitting our family up is there anyway we can trace where the txt messages were sent from as the number seems to be switched off all the time. Could we get a post code or anything like that. Thanks
Category: Cell Phones
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,
Steve is currently offline. I am Pete, and I'll be happy to assist with your question.
Sorry to hear about this unfortunate problem you are having.
It is actually quite easy for someone to 'fake' the number that a text is sent from. That is probably why the number is ***** switched off when you try calling it.
The only way to accurately trace where the messages originated is to have the message traced. Only the police and courts have the power to do this, so you would have to report the messages as harrassment, which they clearly are. The police can then trace the origin of the messages under the Communications Act 2003.