John T. F., Mac Druid
Experience:  20+Yrs in the computer/electronics service industry
60674955

The ITUNES icon and picture of a cord is stuck on my phone

Customer Question

The ITUNES icon and picture of a cord is stuck on my phone and I've tried several times doing a hard shut off and it never works. Please help!
Category: Cell Phones
Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Hi! Can you tell me what was going on just prior to receiving this image? Thanks,John
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes- I tried to do a hard shut off with my phone because I noticed that within the last 2 hours whenever I would I try to call someone I would get an instant message saying, "CALL Failed." However, I never would hear the phone ring. Clients (i'm real estate broker) were complaining that they couldn't reach me by phone. I thought if I shut my phone off it would work, but it wouldn't shut off. I tried then to install an update and that's when this icon showed up
Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Ok thanks, ***** ***** do you normally sync and back up this iPhone? - with iTunes or with iCloud? John
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I tunes-My parents happened to be here and when my dad called my number on his side he would hear endless ringing. On my side, I would just hear an electronic signal as if a call was about to come in, but it would never go through
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will actually try to find my land line to see if I can call you. Utterly desperate for help. I have two important deals about to implode if I don't talk to clients
Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Ok, the operating system on your iPhone has crashed. In order to regain functionality you must restore the device. Make sure you have downloaded and installed the latest version of iTunes on your computer before attempting this:http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/(Mac users can run System Preferences > Software Update (or “Apple Store” for OS X 10.9 users) > Check now to get the latest version for their system in most cases.) Disconnect all cables from your Apple device. Open iTunes on the computer Turn off the device (press the sleep/wake button on the top until the device completely shuts off). Press and hold the Home button. While holding the Home button, connect your device to the computer running iTunes. (If your device doesn't turn on automatically, turn it on.) Continue holding the Home button until you see the Connect to iTunes screen. iTunes will alert you that it has detected a device in recovery mode. Click OK, then restore the device. It may ask whether you wish to restore a backup from iTunes or from iCloud. You should use iTunes which has the latest backup of your personal data. John
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
should I unplug my phone from the computer
Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Yes, start with it unplugged and then plug it back in when you reach that step. John
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I unplugged, downloaded the newest version (the link you sent) and then after it showed I successfully downloaded Itunes, i then plugged phone back in. The same photo appears with the itunes icon and the cord and black space in between
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I never got the notice that there is detection of device in recovery phone
Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Ok, did you hold down the buttons as indicated? =====Turn off the device (press the sleep/wake button on the top until the device completely shuts off). Press and hold the Home button. While holding the Home button, connect your device to the computer running iTunes. (If your device doesn't turn on automatically, turn it on.) Continue holding the Home button until you see the Connect to iTunes screen. iTunes will alert you that it has detected a device in recovery mode. Click OK, then restore the device.==== John
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
can I please call you? I'm getting a bit frustrated and I'm sure I'm not listening carefully
Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Sadly, I can not offer telephone support at this time. :-( However, try this alternative and see if it is easier for you; 1* Open iTunes on your computer and connect the iPhone directly to it if it isn't currently 2* Turn off the Apple device (press the sleep/wake button on the top until until the device completely shuts off). 3* Hold down the sleep/wake button (on the top) AND the home button (on the front) for 10 seconds * Release the sleep/wake button but CONTINUE to hold the home button, until... * iTunes should pop up and tell you it’s found a device in recovery mode, click OK and continue along for the restore. John
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok, it's 9 more minutes of "restore" and they said if this doesn't work then I do "replace"
Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
If all goes well this should get you up and running at least to the time of your latest back up. John
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i think it can't be restored. Got this message "If your iphone cant be updated it will need to be restored to factory settings.iphone will update your phone to ios 8.3 and will verify the update with apple." This is after I hit "RESTORE." So,,, I do have to "Replace," correct?
Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
To clarify, you got the message about the iPhone being in Recovery mode and then clicked "Restore"... How long after pressing Restore did you get this message and does it appear the restore is still in progress? John
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i apologize. Feel like an idiot. Updating is NOT RESTORING, correct?
Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Restoring in this case is a very specific task once the iPhone is in recovery mode and it is not the same as the normal update that you might do through iTunes when the phone is functioning properly. John