Pete, Electronic Engineer
Experience:  Over 16 years of experience installing and repairing electronics.
30970729

How do I prove my cell phone has been tapped.

Customer Question

Category: Cell Phones
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I need rock solid proof.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
I am Pete, and I'll be happy to assist with your question today.
The only way to absolutely prove that the cell phone has been tapped is to uncover hard evidence of your information stored elsewhere, e.g. details of phone calls, text messages, etc.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
And how would I do that?
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
If you are experienced in undercover work you could carry out your own surveillance or investigation. Or you could hire a private investigator to uncover the evidence.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So there is no technical way of determining this? No device that can ascertain if the phone is being tapped?
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
There is no way to prove that it has taken place.
There are many ways to covertly monitor cell phones remotely these days.
You would need to find hard evidence to be able to prove that the phone was tapped.
If you want to be sure that someone you know isn't tapping the phone, then you could reset it to its factory settings - this will erase any spyware that may be installed on it. However, even after resetting the phone it can still be intercepted by undercover government agencies without your knowledge, as we have seen in the Edward Snowden leaks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am confused. You say there is no way but then you say I will need hard evidence. I want to know how to get the hard evidence...
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
I'm not sure of your exact situation, but let's give an extreme example:
Someone intercepts wireless signals from your phone and decrypts the signal to listen to your call or read your messages.
The only way that you can prove that this has happened is to find the evidence on their computer showing details of your calls or messages. There is no other way to tell that the call or message has been intercepted.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You are not helping me.. I want to catch and prosecute....
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
I have given you the correct answer to your question.
You will need a private investigator to find the evidence required for prosecution.