Randy
Randy, Customer Service
Experience:  Cell Phone Expert
62741268

The back button on my "LG Optimus T" does not work at all for

The back button on my "LG Optimus T" does not work at all for any type of navigation through apps or menus. How do I fix this?
Category: Cell Phones
Expert:  replied 1 year ago.

Randy :

Hello, thanks for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to assisting you today and providing you with the best answer possible.

Customer:

thanks

Randy :

I am sorry to hear you are having problems with your LG, I will do my best to help you get it working properly again.

Randy :

In order to use the Apps (SoftKeys for ROOT USERS) and (Button Savior -Root) that provide screen overlay buttons, your device has to be rooted.

Randy :

Your only options will be to get the button repaired or to root your device.

Customer:

I'm sure taking it in to be repaired and not having it for how ever many days will cost me more than it's worth. How do I root my device and what are the cons of doing so?

Randy :

I can provide you with a link> How to Root your LG Optimus

Randy :

There are a lot of repair shops in shopping malls that will do the repair while you wait, the cost will probably be around $100.

Customer:

Once I've rooted my phone, will it affect anything performance wise?

Randy :

No, it will work just as before.

Customer:

What are the pros and cons of rooting?

Randy :

Rooting an Android phone is similar to "jail breaking" an iPhone
The reason most people root their phone, is to install apps like Softkeys or Button Savior. It will give you the ability to deeply customize your own device and upgrade software, you willl also have the ability to install any application or game, including those "blocked" or Tegra-only games.

Some of the major reasons not to root your Android device include:

1. If the rooting process fails you may permanently "brick" your phone, rendering it unusable for anything other than, well, a brick. Basically, your phone will be useless.

2. Rooting your phone typically voids any manufacturer and carrier warranties.

3. Other drawbacks are more specific to what is done after the device is rooted, such as burning out your smartphone CPU due to overclocking, wearing out the SD card prematurely and burning out pixels in the screen.

Randy :

How long have you had the phone?

Customer:

Is there a way to un-root after I've done it?

Customer:

18 months.. my warranty is up already

Randy :

That is unfortunate about the warranty,

Randy :

After you root the device it can not be reversed,

Randy :

Who is your cell provider?

Customer:

T

Mobile

Customer:

The Optimus T doesn't have the best processor.. In what case would my cpu burnout? What is overclocking?

Randy :

Overclocking is like reving an automobile engine too high too long,

Randy :

I would suggest that you try for an early upgrade from T-Mobile, if you explain to them that this button failed after only 18 months of normal use and you would like to upgrade rather than repair they will most likely help you out.

Customer:

Their option would be upgrade early and only get half the discount or wait 6 more months until my contract is up to get the full discount.

Randy :

That isnt very good, you can buy a used optimus for $125.00, you can also sell yours for around $50.00

Randy :

That would have you getting a working phone for around $75.00

Customer:

So all in all, the only way to fix the button is get it professionally repaired? Is there any way it could be an issue with the operating system? Could factory resetting the phone help?

Randy :

No, this is a fairly common issue with the Optimus,

Randy :

I am sorry that this is not very promising,

Randy :

Not much good news,

Customer:

So I'm thinking my best (cheapest) option is to root my phone and hope I don't brick it or overclock it in the next six months. Is that right?

Randy :

That is the cheapest, the chances of bricking are slim but you never know.

Randy :

You may want to watch some videos also before you try. CLICK HERE FOR YOUTUBE VIDEO INFO

Customer:

Well that was all very informing. Thanks for your input. You're getting an excellent rating.

Randy :

Thank you! I wish you the best! Good Luck!

Randy, Customer Service
Experience: Cell Phone Expert