Vinod Menon, Customer Service
Experience:  More than 3 years of using and giving tech support for apple products.
51110040

I cant access my gmail account with my iphone. The message

Customer Question

I can't access my gmail account with my iphone. The message I get is that the username or password XXXXX XXXXX correct.
Category: Cell Phones
Expert:  Vinod Menon replied 2 years ago.
Hi

Let's reset the iPhone first.

Press and hold the power button and home button together until you see an apple logo.

Let me know whether this resolves your issue.

Thank you
Vinod
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Nope. Same message appears:

The user name or password XXXXX "imap.gmail.com" is incorrect

Let's delete and recreate the mail.

GO to settings > mail, contacts and calendars. Tap on your account and delete it.

Now add the account again

let's see whether this helps
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Just tried that. Unfortunately- the same message appears again:

are you able to sign into gmail using the same username and password XXXXX the computer?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

yes

Let's try this.

https://support.google.com/mail/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=14257
Vinod Menon, Customer Service
Experience: More than 3 years of using and giving tech support for apple products.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It's confusing, but I did follow those instructions and they got me re-connected. Thanks.

Good to know that...:)

Sometimes, gmail can ask you to reenter the password as part of privacy.

I believe that happened in your case and what we did was to ask gmail to allow you to access gmail through iphone (by authenticating yourself through the use of a security code or something like that)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Not completely there yet. When I try to re-enter the Gmail account, it still does not recognize my password.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Same problem persists. I can go around the problem by accessing the account via Safari. But I want to be able to access it the way I always have- from the Mail option at the bottom of the screen. That's where I run into the same Cannot Get Mail message.

Now try to delete and add the account again by going to settings - mail, contacts and calendars
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The Gmail account doesn't show up there.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

After I add a new Gmail account and attempt to verify- I continue to get the same message Cannot Get Mail The user name or password for "imap.gmail.com" is incorrect.

Let's reset your settings on iPhone

Go to settings - general - reset - reset all settings.

Now try to add your account
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
My personal Gmail account is still not recognized on my iphone as the second of my 2 mailboxes. Your expert sent me to a Google self-help site which also did not help solve the problem.
Expert:  Joe replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for using justanswer.com, my name is Joe and I will be glad to assist you with your concern today.

If you log into you gmail account on the website instead using your username and password does it allow you to log in or result in incorrect username or pw?

Thanks,

Joe